Email program?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Aug 7, 2007.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Here's an odd request...

My grandparents just bought a new HP with Vista on it. Is there a email program that will allow them to have different identities to each be able to check their pop3 email accounts? On XP they had used OE and each had a separate identity. Windows Mail won't allow you do this, MS has decided that they want you have individual Vista user accounts. They have Outlook 2003 but I couldn't figure a way to do it either. It wouldn't matter if the program opened to a particular account by default, just that it could be switched to the secondary account.

tdinc likes this.
  2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Thunderbird can be set for multiple email accounts and/or you can have multiple profiles. You can also create folders in your Inbox on Outlook and then create a rule to move messages received on each account to a different folder, not sure if that is what you want.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Outlook supports multiple independent profiles.
    Open up Control Panel, look for the Mail icon, and click the Show Profiles button.

4. dreamliner77

j79zlr: I'll look at Thunderbird, it was on my "to-do" list anyway... Rules won't work for what I need mostly because they'll forget to change the "from" address when sending or replying to mail.

NetRyder: I never knew that was there. I'll see if it can handle what I need.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

It works pretty much exactly like OE identities.
    Create one profile per user, then add the email accounts to the individual profiles. When they launch Outlook, they'll get a prompt asking them to pick which profile to use.

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You can also create shortcuts.

e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE /profile <profilename>

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I honestly didn't know that was available in Outlook either. Was that a feature added in 2003 or was it there before?

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

always been there as far as I'm aware...

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I use profiles and have setup shortcuts as madmatt referenced - I have to say both work well :)

Only negative is you can't store the passwords in the shortcuts (if they are prompted at startup), oh well!

10. dreamliner77

Used the control panel method. All is good now and the grandparents are happy.