Email Notification

stop ya dam moaning;) it'll be back it jus need time:cool:

Only a fool would have done such a thing without notice as if you want to get rid of browsers/users of this board then this is how you do it: - shame! This is actually easily calculated during the site setup phase (not rocket science) and I doubt that the reason given is genuine only an idiot would do such a thing. Lets all stop thinking.

This (E-Mail notification) is fundamental to the operation of this service. Might just as well keep moving the server as before or try even better, learn your tools, or try another occupation.

I find this absolutely incredible.

Sorry for the moan but on this occasion it’s justified in my opinion.

Probably get thrown of now, never mind.

You're going to leave NTFS because of a problem the admin/owner are trying to figure out? :rolleyes:

waddy doesn't know if email notification is the problem but it's where he started. The problem will be sorted asap

Everybody makes makes mistakes. Give the site a fast host and server, pay for it out of pocket and then you can gripe.:p

No one is an idiot for turning off the service, it was just an idea --which unfortunately didn't benefit the users who were used to it. :happy:

This site and its wealth of information is free for users. Try thanking the mods instead of bashing them, you may get better results.

--or suggest compensation....a beer for every missed e-mail :)

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
Only a fool would have done such a thing without notice as if you want to get rid of browsers/users of this board then this is how you do it: - shame! This is actually easily calculated during the site setup phase (not rocket science) and I doubt that the reason given is genuine only an idiot would do such a thing. Lets all stop thinking.

This (E-Mail notification) is fundamental to the operation of this service. Might just as well keep moving the server as before or try even better, learn your tools, or try another occupation.

I find this absolutely incredible.

Sorry for the moan but on this occasion it’s justified in my opinion.

Probably get thrown of now, never mind.

Well then if you are mouthing so much brain capacity, then tell us where they should have started if you think they are looking in the wrong place.

It's easy to complain when you don't have any ideas on the matter of your own... But if you DO, then please enlighten us with your wisdom. We are all ears if you have any answers.

It is a pain for me as well, but I am riding it out because I know it will be better. And because I am part of and loyal to this forum community.

You have been here since May 2002 with 510 posts... how often are you here? When the sever was having it's original problems did you know then what was wrong? Did you try to help the forum in any way or did you gripe the way you are doing now?

This is a community, why not help instead of bad mouthing it.
Just a thought.

Below your Avatar you have put, " NTFS Devotee" Prove it.

Originally posted by gonaads

You have been here since May 2002 with 510 posts... how often are you here? When the sever was having it's original problems did you know then what was wrong? Did you try to help the forum in any way or did you gripe the way you are doing now?

This is a community, why not help instead of bad mouthing it.
Just a thought.

Below your Avatar you have put, " NTFS Devotee" Prove it.

here here!!

TonyOk

hmm i think everyone is getting a little pissed bout missing our emails.

i've jus been using the user CP to check on threads. the e-mail thingy hasn't worked for me for a LONG time.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
i've jus been using the user CP to check on threads. the e-mail thingy hasn't worked for me for a LONG time.

it has been off for several weeks now....just hold on:cool:

Originally posted by Lighter
Everybody makes makes mistakes. Give the site a fast host and server, pay for it out of pocket and then you can gripe.:p

I am guessing you mean the several thousand pounds we owe UK Solutions as well as the $500 waddy has paid out of his own pocket to keep the site up on a dedicated server for the past 5 months.

Thats one of the reasons that things are happening slowly, we can't afford to make any mistakes. When we were at UKS they performed all the various software and hardware updates required (our new hosts will obviously do any hardware updates, but we need to manually update php, mysql and apache) - One screw up and we could be down for days. Remember when we first started NTFS? Waddy one day told me that apache wouldn't boot among various expeletives, 2 weeks later we decided to fall back to XP-erience until we were ready.

The current issue: When we used to have problems it was because the server could not cope with the high demand, server loads soured above 100% (somehow) - now we are dedicated it barely goes above 1% We can't find the problem. We have even had Jellsoft, the people that develop these forums, take a look, as well as Tingle the guy that wrote the news portal we currenty use - no joy. Waddy thinks he has narrowed it down to the way the server sends mail out everytime there is a new post on the forums, this adds up. That is why this feature was disabled, we do intend to return it once we have got to the bottom of the problem. We are hoping the latest RPM release of PHP 4.3 will do this (we have been waiting for it to settle into the community - thats how careful we are being.)

So please wait, we can't rush this, because basically we can't go back to UKS now, it would be a step in the wrong direction.

On a postive note, the new forum theme is ready and I am working on a rehash of the current main page theme, as well as one that will match the new forum theme.

Now I am not going to check this for spelling mistakes cos its too bloody long.

Peace and love, then you can eat your pudding.

dam thats a long explaination but a very good 1:cool: thanx 4 that. glad 2 here new theme is ready + if ur anything like me u'll miss some spelling mistakes....though i cant see any:p

Electronic Punk
then you can eat your pudding.
Will there be pie?

Henyman
dam (Damn) thats (that's) a long explaination (explanation) but a very good 1 (one) :cool: thanx (thanks) 4 (for) that. glad 2 (to) here (hear) new theme is ready + (and) if ur (you're) anything like me u'll (you will) miss some spelling mistakes....though i cant (can't) see any:p
Ahem.

Like everything else in this life, if there are problems that need solving why not tell someone or ask for help before things get out of hand as I thought that this was the place in which to do this. The problem/s concerning funding I have posted on before with relevant suggestions. I had no idea that some individuals were “financing” the situation from their own pocket until I read it today. Maybe I went over the top a bit so I apologise.

I would start of by monitoring all activity using port 3049, as there are known vulnerabilities with this port and your server software, i.e. other non-authorised users/hackers. This can slow down or even lock a site (so I am told) from within i.e. outgoing packets. Please post the hardware specifications used and measured memory leakage at full load.

Configuration (software): -

Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.1.2 mod_perl/1.26 on Linux. I have passed this information to my brother who is an expert in this field.

I am not an expert but I know people who are so maybe they can assist, either way it will cost nothing. Hope this may be of assistance. Sooooooooory for the flame.

:) :) :)

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
Like everything else in this life, if there are problems that need solving why not tell someone or ask for help before things get out of hand as I thought that this was the place in which to do this.

As posted by EP, waddy did ask for help:
Post by EP
We have even had Jellsoft, the people that develop these forums, take a look, as well as Tingle the guy that wrote the news portal we currenty use - no joy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back