eMachines 5116 (REPLACEMENT)

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Mainframeguy, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

My eMachines 5116 notebook (Celeron 2.4 GHz with 15.4" widescreen) is showing it's age and needs a fan attending to....

Now I shall do that and allow it to be inherited by my daughter in the fullness of time....

Which leads me to the subject for the thread - with a budget about the same as that one was four or five years ago (this cost me some £800 odd, equivalent spend power to maybe $1200?) - what might members here at OSNN recommend to me?

I am thinking maybe Dell - and although I am tempted by teh AMD offerings I have yet to see anything that makes me really want to go there, but maybe you guys know of a special or have experience you can share for me to make the right choice here - it is one I shall be sticking with for some time.

One thing I do want to be far superior this time is the SOUND so that I can consider using the notebook as shipped for a mobile entertainment device.... Battery life is also a factor there (though spare cells are an option and I have an inverter for in car usage and charging).

2. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  3. Mainframeguy

well thanks for that - now i just need to wait for da man (Netryder) to pick up on this thread and I'll get thinking what to choose....

though i do have to say that Lenovo looks a little pricey still for the budget I have... that was 1200 dollars not pounds!

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I hope you don't want decent sound out of laptop onboard speakers... It won't happen, they're just too small and the casing degrades sound.

Headphones may work.

I'm hearing bad things about Lenovo quality since IBM sold out. Stick with a Dell, Sony or Toshiba (in that order).

5. Mainframeguy

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

LeeJend is right about laptop speakers. I've never really come across a laptop that actually sounded "really good." Just pick up a pair of Sennheisers for on-the-go listening instead. :)

I was recently looking for laptops for a friend, and the Dell XPS M1210 was one that caught my eye, mainly because of the combination of raw power and the 7 hours of battery life. Unfortunately, it starts at £899 in the UK. The Inspiron 9400 that you're looking at has a 17" display, which might make it a bit inconvenient in terms of portability. I'm not quite sure what the battery life would be like either. The rest of the specs look great though.

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'd go Dell, Maxdata, Ace, toshiba :) And avoid turion laptops, they postitivley crawl.

8. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i would wait a few weeks till core2 duo apears, then pick up a cheap dell core duo + discount coupon :D

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

What Heny said about the new Intel products.

Aside from that the price/performance looks pretty good (even with the Uk VAT). Find a coupon and your set.

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

dell uk doesnt do coupons
    they just do insane discounts :)