Elplorer.exe using 100% of cpu!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mange, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mange

Mange Guest

Hello!

I saw that there are many others who have different problems with the explorer using to much cpu.

Sorry , i have no solution but i found this post at Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317751
    (Knowledge Base-artikel - 317751).

I wounder if anybody has that fix? Or i hope that microsoft relese SP2 with it included really soon.

I´m having this "strange" problem with explorer.exe like the most of the posts i´v been reading hear. But i guess we´ll have to wait for SP2.
    Hmm, thougt i shouldn´t have this problem with a brand new pc, but that´s life i guess. :(

*great forum*:blink:

/Mange

2. Alan

Alan its only fun

Hi Mange,

First off welcome to the community;)

I found this
    Start -> Run -> type in: Regedit
    Find the

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\

directory and delete the "DEFAULT" key ! ... Voila ! ... Explorer.exe runs at 0-1% on idling !

I have never had the problem but it seems to work for most people.

Please backup your registry

Hope this helps you

Alan

3. Mange

Mange Guest

A big thanx!!!

Hey! As for now....your tip has work good for me :)

I have test it and its seems to work! ( So far, so good... )
    But the computer is a strange device that lives its on life. Who doesent know that? Hehe :D

I´ll be in touch if the problem appaers again!
    Have a nice day!
    /Mange

4. Alan

Alan its only fun

Glad to help ;)

and look forward to seeing you around the forum

stick around you'll enjoy it

Alan

5. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

I tried to delete the key but it said that it could not delete one of the values?

Any ideas?

There is another almost identical thread started by me and offering the same link to MS!!

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

explorer.exe using 100% cpu

A friend of mine's is getting constant 100% cpu usage from explorer.exe after using the computer (WinXP Pro no SP1 applied) for around half an hour. I've remotely connected to the box and had a general look around, and there is nothing running at all that would cause this.
    We've tried a virus scan with norton av with freshly downloaded updates), and there's no programs running in startup.
    It seems that there's nothing that stands out that would cause this... so does anyone have any suggestions ??

7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

It could be the websites he goes to ...

8. SPeedY_B

Nothing is running. no sites, no media player/winamp, no un-needed services... nothing.

9. Rexy

Rexy Guest

if i was u (or that friend of urs) i would run a spyware scanner like bullet proof soft's Spyware / Adware Remover (NOT ADAWARE!!! it's dangerous to ur own computer and can make it not boot or ruin internet connection or such while trying to remove things like cdilla)

10. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

when did this happen?what was the latest program your freind installed?
    I had the same problem months ago when I installed AVP2 I got everything back to normal when repaired IE.:)
    run the MSCONFIG command and look in the task manager, close a processor one after one you might see some differences.:D ;) :cool:

11. SPeedY_B

It's a virtually brand new computer. she doesn't use it for much, just things such as browsing, e-mail, irc, and a few games etc.
    Nothing was installed between this happening and it not happening.

The only thing that we did do was attend a lan, 5 computers, sharing files (she only got divx/mp3...nothing was installed from here) and the problem started when the computer was took home.

12. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

There are other threads (one of them mine) on this forum dealing with the same problem!!

13. shaggy2000

shaggy2000 Guest

I have found this to happen on my computer as well. Running xp pro with sp1. Sometimes when i would access multimedia files, the explorer would kick up to 100%. I am guessing that windows is trying to read the attributes/properties and is having a problem with one or more of them. In xp, what you can do is go into task manager under the processes tab and end the explorer.exe process. Then go into the applications tab and and click on New Task and start up a new explorer. All should be well after that.

I know its not a fix, its just a remedy for it. Wish I knew how to prevent it from happening at all.

14. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

does it go back to 100% after a hard reboot as well?

15. Geffy

Isnt there a tweak that you can do with the registry that stops it from trying to get the stats of multimedia files. (I'll see if I can find a link)

Also as she is on a network, what is her Network loading (also on Task Manager)?

16. allan

allan Guest

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

and delete the "DEFAULT" key

17. Geffy

thats the one, thanks allan

18. Alan

Alan its only fun

Hi allan,

While this thread has your attention I'm wondering why djchapple is having a problem deleting this key.....what would cause this?

Here is the Thread

you were in on it at the begining but the thread started to lose its way a bit.........and then got back on track.

Anyways hope you can help him;)

Alan

19. allan

allan Guest

Alan - Hi. I looked at the thread you linked to and don't see that quote anywhere. As to why I left that thread early, there are a few reasons:

1) Too many cooks
    2) Too much bad info being bandied about
    3) The thread went off on so many tangents I couldn't follow it any longer

20. Alan

Alan its only fun

Hi alllan,

Yes it did move of track and I was probaly responsible:D

The link I gave you was from this Post

Its pretty much the same as this one , but have a look anyway, as I said originally would there be a specific reason why he couldn't delete this key? orare there many factors and were should he start?

Thanks for the reply

Alan