Electoral College Discussion (opinons and why)

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
well, I can go either way in the electoral college...I've seen acceptable arguments from both camps

so, give your opinion and why wether it should be there or not

It makes the votes and issues of smaller states important, however it discourages voting in states which are heavily biased torwards a particular political party.

Imo the best way to get the best of both worlds is to keep the current electoral college, but add another sum of electoral votes which goes torwards the TOTAL popular vote. I.E. every state gets their electoral vote amounts and the popular vote counts for 15 electoral votes. (Gore probably would have won under this method)

I guess a compromise like that might be a good idea

I like the idea of one person one vote, which the electoral college circumvents

on the other hand, if majority ruled then there would be parts of the country that were not represented.

tis a cruel cycle of sorts

I hate it...i mean what does are vote have to do with voting for pres? Its just a bunch of rubbish. I understand why they started it but that was then and people understand who they vote for now. anywho...i think it should be taken out!

Hehe I found this via a google ad at the bottom of this post .. here. Has some points about the electoral college.

In this day and age, I believe it's entireably possible to do away with the electoral college.

perris said:
I guess a compromise like that might be a good idea

I like the idea of one person one vote, which the electoral college circumvents

on the other hand, if majority ruled then there would be parts of the country that were not represented.

tis a cruel cycle of sorts
That's just about how I feel. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. No easy answer to this one.

ThePatriot said:
That's just about how I feel. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. No easy answer to this one.
Yeah I would have to go with that as well. Perhaps a modification to the electoral college but not sure with doing away with it completely.

This is why the Census is so important... The Electoral College votes that a state get are based off it.

Anthe rpoint... If we we're a democracy, popular vote would count, but we are a Republic. <just recite the pledge of allegience>.

The only good thing about not being in a swing state was that I didn't have to listen to all those horrible political advertisements. I watched an Philadelphia Eagle football game (Pennsylvania was a swing state) and caught a lot of those lies, I mean political advertisements and had to shut it off.

I understand what people are saying about the small states, but the Wyomings and Alabamas were ignored since they were Bush states. I'm sure not too many people cared about Connecticut which was a Kerry state. If there was no electoral college, both candidates would have to talk to ALL of us, not just those in the swing states.

If I remember my US history, wasn't the electoral college instituted since the money class didn't trust us peasants to elect the "right" person as President. I think we could do the job just fine.

The electoral college will not be going away anytime soon. It would require a Constitutional Amendment requiring 3/4 of states' approval, and why would smaller states give up their clout? They won't and, thus, the Electoral College is here to stay, for better or for worse.

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back