editing the default registry that installs on fresh xp installation?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ewokuk, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ewokuk

ewokuk OSNN Junior Addict

Just after some info on how to edit the default registry that would be installed on a fresh install of xp. since i am about to burn my slipstreamed XP i would like to have it so that it automatically sets things like my menu speed to 0, stops windows messenger loading with outlook express, uses old style windows taskbar and turns off themes, sets menu animations to off etc

doesnt seem to be covered in any of the "unattended installs" ive seen

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

You just add all your tweaks into one registry file so it goes thus:

...and so on.

It's covered at unattended.msfn.org; if you haven't looked there for unattended information, you should. It's a great resource.

3. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Here is am image of my $oem$ folder, I put my reg tweaks in 'regtweaks.reg' and call them during the installation using 'cmdlines.txt'.

Attached Files:

• mine.gif
      mine.gif
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ewokuk

ewokuk OSNN Junior Addict

hmm thatll do it nicely

just need to find and add registry tweaks to disable all the menu/combobox animations (except shadow under mouse pointer, drop shadows on desktop icons, and show contents while dragging, all the others in that options list I want off!) and set classic start menu, and turn off automatic updates (i can disable the service but that may not actually turn off the updates in the system properties/automatic updates menu.

unwonted, do your tweaks do the "disable error reporting but notify me when errors occur" under system proerties/advanced/error reporting? i notice it seems to turn off error reporting but unsure whether it selects disable error reporting AND ticks that notify me box. also would like to turn off the startup and recovery options/system failure stuff, ive got all 3 boxes unticked and debugging info set to none.

thanks

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

About the error reporting--when I have a program that crashes, it pops up the window that says "This program has encountered an error and will be shut down blah blah blah", but it doesn't ask you to send it to MS.

Some of my tweaks I found with registry-monitoring programs, and others I found by going into edit mode on X-Setup Pro's plugins. X-teq plugins are mostly written in VB, so it's easy to see what registry parts it's editing.

Most of your menu settings/appearance settings you can find under HKLM (and HKCU\) \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, mainly under \Advanced, but you'll see a lot of other goodies in that area. I just save the entire \Advanced and add it in giant clumps to my registry. Happy regediting! :)

Edit: You can save all your security settings at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit