Easy way to Clone info to a new HDD

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
Is there an easy way to clone an old hard drive onto a new hard drive ??

(help :()

It might seem incredible...

But if you XCOPY all data on a drive into another and make it bootable (tested under FAT32 only) it'll boot as the new one did. Just make sure you copy everything (it won't copy the swapfile, but it's not needed, windows will just create a new one).

Remember to XCOPY even empty directories, recreating the structure, hidden and system files, EVERYTHING. Then just boot with a diskette, after the disk is in place and SYS C: to transfer the OS (if transferring your system disk) and boot.

This has been tested several times under windows millennium and worked a charm. It will work for XP and NTFS as well but regarding DATA disks, i haven't tested on a system disk, so i can't say if it works or not.

Hope this helped, don't know if you want a REAL image or just transfer the files...:cool:

SMALL NOTE:
This operation has to be done within windows or all the files will be converted to the 8.3 format and rendered useless...

I was just wondering...

Where is the registry actually stored?

C:\Documents and Settings\<username here>\

and it's called NTUSER.DAT.

Cloning does not work with Xp... It will lock you out...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back