E6700 vs E6600

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by BouncingSoul, May 29, 2007.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I'm looking at both these cpu's on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16819115002,N82E16819115003

As far as I can tell, they are identical aside from the 266mhz in speed difference. Having never owned a Core 2 Duo system before I'm wondering is that 266mhz worth the extra $94? Before anyone says anything, No, I'm not planning on overclocking it. After all my stuff breaks at its own pace, I don't need to help it along at all.

2. Cilix

Cilix OSNN Junior Addict

Nope, I dont see any reason to spend another $100 for 266Mhz, but thats just my personal opinion. If you want some extra ump out of the processor, buy a better heatsink for $40.

3. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

100 percent correct. getting a good heatsink and fan can make that e6600 into much more than a e6700. These Core 2 Duos can overclock nicely without a lot of worry of damaging the cpu.

4. BouncingSoul

That was going to be my next question ... Is the stock cooling fan good enough? I've heard they run really hot but I can't imagine Intel would provide substandard cooling on their cpu's.

5. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I have heard that you can push them a decent amount even with the stock HSF. But I don't own one myself so take that with a grain of salt.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Standard fan is adequate for standard cooling. So if the case is well ventilated and the room temp is normal (72-78deg F) then the fan is fine.

Most likely you will be able to push the 6600 to 6700 level with the standard fan. The piddling little increase is a joke thermally as is the price delta economically.

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

The stock HSF stinks. I'd recommend a ZALMAN 9500/9700 for best results.

BTW, I had the E6700 running with the stock HSF and now I have the E6700 running with a ZALMAN 9500. Much quieter and a lot cooler.

8. Tuffgong4

the stock hsf is fine for stock cooling, almost any decent $30+ hsf will easily get you to the e6700 performance with the e6600.

I would go with this Hyper TX
    look at the bottom of the article for purchase links...

9. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Another Zalman user here. =) Word to the wise though, maybe spend an additional $3 and get a good thermal paste. I know I didn't and regret it.

10. Tuffgong4

good thermal paste is so under-rated, even adding good thermal paste to a stock hsf is a pretty big difference.

11. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I say E6600 and good paste and Zalman, cant go wrong with that combo !

12. BouncingSoul

So what's a good thermal paste? I've still got some Arctic Silver that I used on my last system. Is that still good?

13. Tuffgong4

I don't know how long the stuff stays good but if it still has the same consistency it should still be good.

14. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

AS is the best paste ... it should be fine

15. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Artic Silver is a good thermal paste, but also look into the new Zalman ZM-STG1 thermal gease performs the same as the AS paste and is a damn site easier to apply :) Worth considering.... http://www.bigbruin.com/2006/supergrease_1 <- random review googled