e=mc2 true or false?

• Thread starter PiCTuREm3RolLin
  • Start date
k... far as i know about e=mc2... you CAN go faster than the speed of light... thats a given... if you ever do any theory work on black holes and white holes... you will learn that there are objects being emitted out of the black holes... and white holes... that are travelling faster than the speed of light... theoretically and also I believe there are links that explain this in total detail.... read stephen hawkings work on matter related to collapsing black holes..

e=mc2 will hold true up to a certain point and THAT is why it is still used... it is a formula that was considered to have implications beyond what it actually does... if you understand it and actually know enough integration... you will find that as you approach the speed of light... m will take the value of infinity... therefore will be a bloody massive object :)

light on the other hand as we all know is not weighing million of tons... though...

disproving the e=mc2 formula is not such a big deal.. it is a valid formula... just try not to use it when you get into quantum physics and start studying about space and stuff... you will need to use alternate forumlas all though the speed of light will remain a constant in a manner of speaking... reason for that being that so many tests have been carried out for so long... thats just how it goes... red shift/blue shift is all dependent of the speed of light and the refractive properties of objects in space, gravitational influences.... thereby implying mass on the part of light... but is it so ?

heh... we should have a poll on this... :) does light have mass...

interesting querry I've not heard asked before;

gravity bends light..this is true

the speed of light is constant...maybe

if we put a strong enough force of gravitaty, either behind, or in front of the path of light, will that be able too slow/speed light travel...hmmm?

Originally posted by Sazar
k... far as i know about e=mc2... you CAN go faster than the speed of light... thats a given... if you ever do any theory work on black holes and white holes... you will learn that there are objects being emitted out of the black holes... and white holes... that are travelling faster than the speed of light... theoretically and also I believe there are links that explain this in total detail.... read stephen hawkings work on matter related to collapsing black holes..

e=mc2 will hold true up to a certain point and THAT is why it is still used... it is a formula that was considered to have implications beyond what it actually does... if you understand it and actually know enough integration... you will find that as you approach the speed of light... m will take the value of infinity... therefore will be a bloody massive object :)

light on the other hand as we all know is not weighing million of tons... though...

disproving the e=mc2 formula is not such a big deal.. it is a valid formula... just try not to use it when you get into quantum physics and start studying about space and stuff... you will need to use alternate forumlas all though the speed of light will remain a constant in a manner of speaking... reason for that being that so many tests have been carried out for so long... thats just how it goes... red shift/blue shift is all dependent of the speed of light and the refractive properties of objects in space, gravitational influences.... thereby implying mass on the part of light... but is it so ?

heh... we should have a poll on this... :) does light have mass...

* Been watching Star Trek :rolleyes: *

Scientists have defined the speed of light in a vacuum to be exactly 299,792,458 meters per second (about 186,000 miles per second). This definition is possible because since 1983, scientists have known the distance light travels in one second more accurately than the definition of the standard meter. Therefore, in 1983, scientists defined the meter as 1/299,792,458 the distance light travels through a vacuum in one second. This precise measurement is the latest step in a long history of measurement, beginning in the early 1600s with an unsuccessful attempt by Italian scientist Galileo to measure the speed of lantern light from one hilltop to another.

The first successful measurements of the speed of light were astronomical. In 1676 Danish astronomer Olaus Roemer noticed a delay in the eclipse of a moon of Jupiter when it was viewed from the far side as compared with the near side of Earth’s orbit. Assuming the delay was the travel time of light across Earth’s orbit, and knowing roughly the orbital size from other observations, he divided distance by time to estimate the speed.

English physicist James Bradley obtained a better measurement in 1729. Bradley found it necessary to keep changing the tilt of his telescope to catch the light from stars as Earth went around the Sun. He concluded that Earth’s motion was sweeping the telescope sideways relative to the light that was coming down the telescope. The angle of tilt, called the stellar aberration, is approximately the ratio of the orbital speed of Earth to the speed of light. (This is one of the ways scientists determined that Earth moves around the Sun and not vice versa.)

In the mid-19th century, French physicist Armand Fizeau directly measured the speed of light by sending a narrow beam of light between gear teeth in the edge of a rotating wheel. The beam then traveled a long distance to a mirror and came back to the wheel where, if the spin were fast enough, a tooth would block the light. Knowing the distance to the mirror and the speed of the wheel, Fizeau could calculate the speed of light. During the same period, the French physicist Jean Foucault made other, more accurate experiments of this sort with spinning mirrors.

Scientists needed accurate measurements of the speed of light because they were looking for the medium that light traveled in. They called the medium ether, which they believed waved to produce the light. If ether existed, then the speed of light should appear larger or smaller depending on whether the person measuring it was moving toward or away from the ether waves. However, all measurements of the speed of light in different moving reference frames gave the same value.

In 1887 American physicists Albert A. Michelson and Edward Morley performed a very sensitive experiment designed to detect the effects of ether. They constructed an interferometer with two light beams—one that pointed along the direction of Earth’s motion, and one that pointed in a direction perpendicular to Earth’s motion. The beams were reflected by mirrors at the ends of their paths and returned to a common point where they could interfere. Along the first beam, the scientists expected Earth’s motion to increase or decrease the beam’s velocity so that the number of wave cycles throughout the path would be changed slightly relative to the second beam, resulting in a characteristic interference pattern. Knowing the velocity of Earth, it was possible to predict the change in the number of cycles and the resulting interference pattern that would be observed. The Michelson-Morley apparatus was fully capable of measuring it, but the scientists did not find the expected results.

The paradox of the constancy of the speed of light created a major problem for physical theory that German-born American physicist Albert Einstein finally resolved in 1905. Einstein suggested that physical theories should not depend on the state of motion of the observer. Instead, Einstein said the speed of light had to remain constant, and all the rest of physics had to be changed to be consistent with this fact. This special theory of relativity predicted many unexpected physical consequences, all of which have since been observed in nature.

Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2002. © 1993-2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Originally posted by CooL_*_TanG
OH my god is the planet isn't flat what??????????

there is one thing that I cannot believe..does the Earth spin around?
then why don't we fall over our heads?
is it because Gravity?
or because we are too small?

what if someone called you in Maine's streets,telling you: HI this is XP TV Network you're one step away to get the BILLION DOLLAR just answer this question: does the Earth spin around?
I bet you will piss in your pants to get the answer :D

octopus :)

my post was based on work I did in a grad level astronomy class...

2 years ago but still remember some stuff..

encarta is not meant to be a guide for higher than say high school level because it is far too basic...

also per your star trek reference... I watch it on occasion maybe once or twice a season... not regularly...

you will be suprised to know the number of references to actual phenomena and possible technological advances that star trek makes reference to... they obviously have educated people in the background working on the show... though am not entirely convinced about the whole aliens all looking humanoid aspect :)

they should look more like... well more like an octopus ffs :D

It seems to me that no one yet knows what “light” is, or gravity come to that. Is it a perceived type of radiation travelling in packets that illuminates objects it encounters or at least the bit of it we understand. You can’t measure it as it does not exist until it hits something or interacts with something else, it can’t be defined exactly (all components) yet. And anyway would you use a tape measure to measure it, which is itself, another variable.
Light is the effect of another interaction not yet understood in my humble opinion. It seems to make more and more sense the larger the intake of alcohol gets, to you reach nirvana after total oblivion.
There are tarts sorry stars in them monoliths.

Cheers.

indeed E=mc2 is wrong

E=mc2 is WRONG,

Gossips going fatser than light-speed.. so E=mc2 is wrong :D

who cares if light is becoming slower? u wont live to see it slow down enough to see the difference. so just live your life not thinking about this crap

If light is becoming slower then the distance it has to travel is becoming shorter.

The Universe has stopped expanding and is now contracting.

Is the why Electronic Punk has moved to Salisbury nearer Stone Henge (just in case).

the universe continues to expand actually... least as far as astronomers can hypothesize...

:)

Um not that this isn't inseresting but is there any new info on this idea?

i saw somewhere that sientists created antimatter of hidrogen or something. that should be fun

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back