DVD's not being recognized

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dubbin1, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

I have no idea whats going on here but my DVD player will recognize everything but a DVD. I have tried new DVD's and DVD's that I have played in it before. It's been a few months since I watched a DVD on it so I have no idea if its from some software that I installed or what. I have also tried a few different DVD players and none of them work. If I go to My Computer and click on the drive it tells me to insert a disk. If anybody has any clue as to whats going on here please tell me.

Thanks

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

go to Device Manager and uninstall the IDE channel that the drive is on and reboot.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What operating system have you got??

4. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

Whoops I thought my system specs was in my sig (I for got I changes it). Anyway I am using XP Pro. I will try to uninstall the IDE channel and see what happens.

Thanks

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

the laser might be worn down a bit,

7. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

The DVD Troubleshooter is a joke and only goes through the basics. I dont think there would be a problem with the laser since the drive isnt really that old and has not been used much. It does show up as a DVD player in My Computer and works just fine for everything but a DVD. I tried uninstalling the IDE channel but that didnt help.

8. Kush

Kush High On Life!

doesnt matter how old it is, even though usually it does last a long time before dying on you, but you never know when it could, so i say the laser is dying, btw is this a dvd cd writer combo? also try to update firmware

9. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Does it scream when it dies?