DVD writer questions

Ohzopants

My mom thinks I'm cool
I just picked up an LG DVD Multi Drive (for a wicked good price I might add) and I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between all the different DVD formats are (DVD+/-R DVD+/-RW).

Another question I have is why the blanks I bought are 4.7 GB and all my movies (legitamitely obtained) are 7 or more GBs? I'm trying to copy my Lord of the Rings DVDs but my blanks are too small. I legally own them and want to back them up because they are precious to me (I couldn't pass up this delicious pun, sorry).

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Man you're a noob to this. Well DVD + and - are just two different formats, kinda like VHS and beta. - is more compatible with DVD players however + is becoming the standard. + also burns more accurately.
The reason why you can't copy your LotR is because it's a dual layered DVD. You ever watch a movie it "pauses" for a second? That's the laser switching over to the next layer of the DVD. You will have to rip the movie then shrink it down to 4.7GB. This is bull and I don't like doing it, as you lose some quality. A lot of people don't care though, so it's just a personal decision. Dual layered DVD burners will be out in about four months.

Rip the movie using DVD Decryter (freeware)
Remux the movie using DVD2One (shareware)
Burn the movie using Nero (trialware)

Not all movies are dual-layered, the give away is either dual-sided (yuck) or the underside has a golden tinge.

The loss of quality is actually negligable and sometimes if you remove extra features and only keep the movie itself then there is no loss.

I Use dvdshrink freeware have not burned any yet but have saved a few to harddrive compressed for burning later and have watched some of them, looked fine just depend's on the length of the movie. I haven't and any problems with dvdshrink so have not tried any others.

www.dvdshrink.org
also some nice reading on the new double sided dvd's that will be out 9.4G
Kano & Verbatim
http://www.kanotechnologies.com/press/1_8_04.cfm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back