DVD Time....

sammy5gs

Ignorance Defined
Hey All..

Ok. I think I am finally going to pony up some funds and delve into the world of getting a DVD drive for my rig. I have been chugging along with my Lite-On CDRW with no worries, but I have been getting friends of mine giving me data on DVD-ROMs that I cannot read/access with my CDRW. I am also getting one of my computer mags providing me w/ Demos on DVD-Roms now, so I made the assesment that I should look into this.

Now, the question is whether to get a plain 16x DVD-Rom (Lite-On, Pioneer, etc) for around $30, or spend some more funds and get into the DVD-+RW, where the cheap ones go for $100-120 (after rebates), and can go as high as $200+.

Any thoughts you guys can share, and anything I should pay attention to when adding a DVD Drive to my rig that I may not already know about?

Sammy5gs

I have a DVD-RW and they are good. Im my opinion if u can afford to get a DVD-/+RW then go for it. It'll save money later as the DVD is slowly but surely taking over from CDs.

that's a good question. with how relatively cheap the dvdrw's have gotten, it's hard to not want to just get one of those. but i'm sure they still have a little ways to go. not to mention they'll still be coming out with faster models every 6 months, it looks like. if i was looking to buy an optical drive right now, i'd be pulling out my hair in frustrative indecisiveness. :p

personally, i'd like to see them get away from this parrallel cable junk and move onto s-ata for better compatibility, stability, and so we don't have to worry about udma speeds and which drives are on which channels. will optical drives ever be using s-ata?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back