DVD+RW disc... dead?

Taurus

hardware monkey
the only rewriteable dvd i have isn't readable anymore. i try to get nero and poweriso to erase it but they won't recognize it. i've used this disc maybe five times so it has to be too early to call it quits.

is there a program i can use to do something like a forced erase to try to revive it?

tried imgburn; "Incompatible Medium Installed" :cry:
the drive still reads dvd's fine.

what's a good brand of DVD+/-RW discs? this one was a Memorex DVD+RW, 4x.

for DVD-R i norm use verbatim, for DVD-DL i use what is a reasonable price at the time, cant say i use DVD-RW

My burners both keep telling me I can format and reuse dvd+r disks. I've not actually tested that out yet though.

Lol I'd like to see that Lord :)

As far as DVD-RWs are concerned, I've always found them a bit rubbish and unreliable. I'd say your disc is probably buggered Taurus. Stick to DVD-Rs and USB memory sticks wherever possible :)

i've been playing with nlite and trying different xp installations. i haven't tried loading the image onto a USB drive to be bootable. how would i do that?

I was looking at it but my old MB won't support boot from USB. I forget which link was best:

http://www.theinfobox.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/USB_Booting
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177102101
As for the RW... I seem to be running into problems after about 5 uses. I'm capturing movies off satellite and if they are any good transfer them to R+. My RWs are becoming unreadable after about 5 uses and there is no significant physical damage.

I use TDKs mostly as acarry over from when I had a finicky burner. My new burner seems to be happy with just about any junk (memorex & verabtim) I throw in it.

Use DVDinfo to read your blanks. Verbatim and memorex will be a different make with each spindle. Sometimes people have reported different brands in the same spindle.

Most blanks are MCC, Ritek, and a few others. The name on the box has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Keep the blanks away from UV and heat. UV can be sunlight OR flourescent lights. I just had to move a stack of DVD's I noticed a heat duct was blowing directly on them which may explain my RW limted life.

thanks for the info, leejend. i expected usb booting to be simple, but i couldn't find any cut-and-dry instructions. i'll just use dvd-r's for now and maybe play with usb booting later down the road.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back