dvd rom drive progressively dying...

R

ryan3dfan

i have two cd drives in my pc, D: is the dvd and F: is my CDRW drive. seems over time the performance of my dvd drive has diminished because whenever i put a cd, any format. it takes forever to read or doesn't read at all. what's wrong?

Your drive is just getting lazy... just imagine how bored you would be if you had to do the same thing, day in and day out...

:p

1). Your dvd's and cd's could be getting dirty or scratched. They need to be cleaned (softcloth, lens cleaner, like tv screen or eyeglasses). Scratch removal is tricky and I won't advise you on it.

2). Drive could need a cleaning. If the laser/sensor gets dirty it will have trouble reading the media. I've seen cleaner kits around somewhere...

3). You may have messed up your system files or settings. Good luck fixing this! Find someone who really knows what they are doing to help.

4). It could be your imagination. The longer you use that hot new machine the slower it seems. It's human nature to always want more.

ok im pretty sure its not the lens nor dirty dvd's. its reading regular cd's just not DVD's. sounds like a software issue, unfortunately i cant find any new drivers for it on my pc's support site. its a generic 16x dvd drive that came pre installed in my pc. any suggestions as to where i could go to find software?

anyone? ive tried reinstalling it and everything but to no avail. ive tried all my dvd's and it just won't read them. it reads normal cd's fine though. this is frustrating me.

give it a clean on the inside wit one of those cd head cleaners (i think thats what you call it)

if it reads regular cd's ok then have you tried to reinstall your dvd program like windvd or powerdvd?

DVD drives use two different lasers. One for cd's, cdr's and cdrw's and one for DVD.

Could be that the DVD laser is dying. Could just be dirty. How about telling use what drive you have (can be found in BIOS or in Device Manager)

Clean the drive lens, make sure all your CDs are fine, and if you're really lazy, toss it as hard and as far as you can, then go and get a new one :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back