dvd player

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by the_music_man, Mar 8, 2003.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

i have an apex 3disc dvd player. i saw reviews about it and saw that people said it didn't work too well after 1.5 years. i've had it about a year so maybe i should try to sell it before it gets crummy? what do you think? i don't really like it b/c the remote is ****ty and stuff. If you think i should sell it what dvd player should i get? i preferably want a quality brand that can be modded :) like sony or panasonic ones?

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Well if you in it for the "modding" aspect I'd personally stay away from name brands and get a Mintek. You can make most Mintek's region free. they play VCD,SVCD out of the box, their jpg playback is the BEST i've ever seen.

My mintek 1600 has better quality then most expensive players. Plus it's tons cheaper :)

3. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Aside from region free questions, feel free to ask me about DVD players in general. I'm a long time Tweeter (semi high end home theater store) employee and a fairly huge home theater enthusiast myself.

I may have some worthy advice to share.

4. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

k answer my question above! thanks.

5. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Oh sure, now you tell me. I knew nothing about them and got a DVD/VHS combo lastnight + T2 ultimate edition. First buy of my entertainment system. Could be decades before I get the next component hehe.

6. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Ah, ok. Don't sell it to a friend.

If you want a simple "decent" player, grab the Sony DVPNS715P. If you want player to be proud of, just about anything by Denon, Pioneer Elite, (high end) Phillips etc will have the Faroudja chip in it which is quite impressive.

Always remember, you get what you pay for. I've got a $1200 DVD player (Sony DVPNS9000B) and I still don't "love" it...