DVD Hardware and DMA

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nick1gbr, Jan 10, 2002.

1. nick1gbr

nick1gbr Guest

I have a DVD drive for my computer, i have a cinemaster dvd hardware card, which i would like to use (just because i have got it) everytime i install it i cannot get any sound.
    My cinemaster drivers (for xp) say the tab for the DMA mode for the dvd drive needs to be ticked but i cannot find it.

i want to use the card and drive in my second machine with a built in video card that cannot cope with the dvd without the hardware card.

I had this problem when running windows 2000 pro and never found a cure.

Please Help

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

What are the exact model numbers of your card and dvdrom? Did these come as a bundle, or purchased separately?

3. nick1gbr

nick1gbr Guest

Both the drive and card are from a Dell computer... A friend gave them to me.

The card is a Cinemaster c.3.0 rev 1.3

the drive is a Toshiba SD-M1212

I had this problem under Win ME but it rectified itself when i put a tick in the dma box for the dvd drive.

Windows autodetects the cinemaster card and puts WDM drivers in for it.

Nick

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

5. nick1gbr

nick1gbr Guest

Thanx I'll have a look

Nick

6. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

what you need to do is goto your device manager..open up the panel for ide controllers, choose primary or secondary depending on which your DVD drive is on.

and then goto the advanced options tab and make sure that the options are set to (use DMA if available mode) that way if the drive supports DMA winXP will automatically enable it..hope that helps :)

7. nick1gbr

nick1gbr Guest

Thank you, seems to work ok...

Sems that was the problem with my cdrw too :D

Cheers

Nick