DVD driver update for XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rj4u, Dec 4, 2001.

1. rj4u

rj4u Guest

I have a Presario 1675 laptop with Win98. I upgraded to XP and downloaded the new driver from Mediamatics. After double-clicking the .exe file - it unpacks into a temp folder, but nothing else happens. I go into the temp folder, but none of the files will run.
    When I pop in a DVD, the computer will show the title and information, but will not play.... I emailed Mediamatics, but haven't heard back...
    Anyone??

2. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

does device manager see it as a dvd drive?
    if yes try it it out with a dvd program such as powerdvd or windvd

3. rj4u

rj4u Guest

yes, it sees it as a DVD drive. I've tried using Mediamatics, PCFriendly, and Windows Media Player w/XP. All with the same results, it'll show the title but won't play.. I'll try one of the other ones.

4. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

hmmm

In the temp folder, that the files unpack to, are there any ini-files there? if it is try to right-click the one the ini-file that correspondent to your dvd-drive...that should work! Good luck:)

5. rj4u

rj4u Guest

Back to my original problem:
    I unpacked the .exe file and found it's contents in a temp folder. I clicked on the setup.exe file and it seems to have installed a new DVD driver.
    The problem I'm getting now is: The Mediamatics player says it won't play because no region selected. I go to options/region but am unable to select a region. An error msg pops up saying "no region selected"...
    ideas??

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

eww DVD Express!
    Get a real DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD ;)