dvd/cd-rom drive not reading....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by oO ShifterZ Oo, Jul 12, 2002.

1. everytime i put a cd in my dvd/cd-rom drive it tries to load the cd, but then it hangs up, i see my computer using 100% cpu resource and after it goes back to 1% etc. the MY COMPUTER window says not responding. I tried to upgrade the drivers for the dvd/cd-rom drive but tere were no upgrades, but i decided to download anyhow and install and it still doesnt work. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2. LazyJames

LazyJames OSNN Addict

I had a problem similar to that, have you checked to make sure that the drive is connected well, that was what was wrong with mine i had knocked it lose. Also you might want to try rolling back your driver to the native XP one, if it had one, from my experience not all new drivers work well with XP

3. iowaboy

iowaboy old person

use a cd rom cleaner disk and try to see if it will read again. usually will work like a charm then. may have picked up some dust on the lazer eye.

4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Check all your cables. Make sure they are plugged in snugly, and not damaged or loose. Also check that DMA mode is enabled and you are using 80-wire IDE cables (they are faster and more reliable)

JJB6486

5. yes i made everything fix slugly, and it the cable works becuase i swamp it with an other computer and it runs well, i think its the drive.

Well -LazyJames- how do i set it back to the native xp ones.

-iowaboy- ill do what lazyjames b4 i buy a cleaner.

6. LazyJames

LazyJames OSNN Addict

ok what you need to do is go to the device manager, find your Dvd/cd drive and right click on it and go to the properties. once there click on the driver tab, and it will give you the option to update, rollback, uninstall, what you need to do is Rollback, and it will use a earlier driver hopefully the winxp one. and if that does not work you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling it. Hope it starts working or you