Duron 1.3 or Tbird 1.4???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kuja, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

Ok, I got a GA-7ZM, and unfortunatly cant take an XP cpu....hmm.
    Now, I got a choice between a Duron 1.3, or a Tbird 1.4 to stick into my mobo, and I don't know which one is faster....
    Any help guys? Maybe a comparison chart between, or a benchmark chart between the 2?

thx in advance....

2. wahoo24jc

wahoo24jc Guest

Get a Thunderbird 1.4

3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

I have a T-bird 1.4. Very pleased with it.

4. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

the T-Bird will be faster

[​IMG]

5. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I would go with the Thunder Bird- is faster, and sounds way cooler then Duron :)

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

1.3ghz duron is equal to a 1ghz t-bird... so the 1.4 t-bird will be a lot faster. make sure you get one with the 200mhz bus... the 266mhz bus ones won't work in your board.

i have the exact same processor... 1.4ghz t-bird 200mhz bus. i did some research the other day and these old t-birds put out more heat than all but the newest athlon xp's. check out this graph:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021001/images/image079.gif
    (thoroughbred (t-bred) A and B are athlon xp's and palomino is duron.)

so make sure you have a decent cooling setup first.

7. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

T-Bird all the way!

8. yeah no question about it. the duron is a rubbish prcessor with a small cache. it's designed to be cheap and cheerful, not like the tbird, which when it came out, was designed to rip apart the opposition p3/4. get the tbird. they do get hot though, as taurus mentions.

9. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

Ah, crap.... should have read that before... now i got a 1.4 tbird running at 1.21.... hmm. ill email gygabite, see if they can release a bios update to support it....... strange that it supports all other 133/266 FSB cpu's except for this one...... hmm oh well.

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you sure it supports 266mhz bus processors? it's a kt133 chipset, just like mine... kt133 only supports the 200's. kt133A supports 266.

if you see somewhere where gigabyte says it "supports" the 266's, that probably doesn't mean they'll run at the right speed... they'll just run.

11. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

it doesnt support it.... but it runs it.... :S oh well...... the f'in mobo supports up to 133mhz FSB, but it supports no CPU WITH 133 FSB....... how stupid is that..... urg......

12. mbunny

mbunny Guest

umm... the Duron 1.3 is actually better than the T-Birds...

the Duron is based on the Morgan architecture which is a crippled Athlon XP architecture (less L2).

The duron has the superior tech just less L2. I'd go for the Duron.

13. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

the the smaller L2 will give a Big hit on performance... while the architecture deal doesn't really help with that... just makes it run cooler.

14. I had the same problem with a different board (KT7a + 1.4 Thunerbird @ 266FSB). Even with all the BIOS updates it didn't make any difference to the speed, then one day I changed the memory to all PC133 rather than a mixture of PC133 and PC100 and it started working @ 1.4.

Weird.

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

not really wierd. your memory controller was running syncronous with your fsb, like most motherboards, at 133mhz. so pc100 memory kept it from running. you probably had an option in your bios to select memory speed and could select "CPUCLK-PCICLK" (133-33) so you'd get pc100 memory speed.