Dual Raptor 74GB 16mb Cache

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by ShepsCrook, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Well, I've finally decided to go with 10k rpm Raptors for my main machine.
    I'll be setting them as RAID 0 to boost the speed even more. Maybe I'll write a review on these drives for everyone.

I got them from Newegg.com for $169.99 with free shipping, and then a $30 MIR to make them $139 each.

These are the new model with 16mb cache. Although, I wish they'd have SATA2 models of these drives.

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I have the Raptor X version and I've read that these drives blow SATA 2 drives away. I don't think you will see any difference.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I hope I get the chance to build a real sweet rig again someday, this machine should really haul!

What will your CPU be?

4. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I'm keeping the Opteron 175 that I have. It's a great processor. My rig overall is a good setup, something that will last me until DX10 cards come out. The processor can take anything I throw at it, the ram is enough, the video card is enough for what I need, and finally the Drives are where they should be at... Since I was using a 120GB Seagate SATA 7200:7 drive for years.

5. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

No need for SATA2 with those babies.

Heeter

Vanquished likes this.
  6. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

shepscrook, what do you do with your machine work or play?

well i just read up on these drives, i am now very interested, wouldn't mind my pc starting up in 4 secs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I work and play on these. Well, the work is just designing my sites and graphics. The play is BF2, HL2 and whatnot.

8. lancer

do you notice a large difference in how xp starts up or games or anything? whats the noticable difference.

9. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

XP starts up MUCH faster now. I am installing BF2 at the moment. I'll let everyone know how fast maps load.

10. lancer

well whats much faster give us actual times, for instance right now because of all the crap i have i think my xp starts up in maybe a minute.

11. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I never had the dual obviously, and I think the ones I had were the 8mb cache, but these drives are AMAZINGLY faster than any other desktop drive out there. I believe I did a XP install with an AMD 3500+ in about 12 minutes :eek:

12. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I'll give you some start up speeds soon. I've busy running all over the place.