Dual Monitor Setup

pcxgamer

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 256MB is it possible to setup a dual monitor so that windows uses the monitor as two different monitors instead on one? And if so how would I do this I have tried using another video card but the card is a GF2 MX 400 and seems to create a performance problem as it is only a PCI. My GF FX card has two connection one is a VGA and the other is a DVI.

think you can use it as two different monitors if you untick "extend my windows desktop to this monitor" or something similar to that in the Desktop -> Settings

Geffy said:
think you can use it as two different monitors if you untick "extend my windows desktop to this monitor" or something similar to that in the Desktop -> Settings

it is actually going to have to be ticked for it to work... that check is saying "extend my workspace". If left unchecked - the card/drivers/operating system treat the secondary monitor as a clone of the first, rather than a seperate desktop

heres a screenshot of the display settings for the secondary monitor (make sure "use this device for primary monitor" is checked for the monitor that, obviously, you want as primary. for secondary, make sure only "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" is checked):

-granted my setup is ATI, but the nVidia should be similar
hope that helps :)

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 105
You can use a switch I believe for the VGA connectors. Not too sure since I've never tried. But yeah, like Geffy and NerdUprising says... there's a setting for two monitors.

And don't forget your DVI-to-VGA dongle! It sounds naughty, but it isn't.

Unwonted said:
And don't forget your DVI-to-VGA dongle! It sounds naughty, but it isn't.

aww yeah, gotta have a dongle ;)

that is unless you have a wonderful fountain of cash, and can buy an ultra über awesome plasma/LCD that uses a DVI connection (we should all be so lucky :) )

NerdUprising said:
aww yeah, gotta have a dongle ;)

that is unless you have a wonderful fountain of cash, and can buy an ultra über awesome plasma/LCD that uses a DVI connection (we should all be so lucky :) )
Damn i want an lcd w/ DVI...every time i reboot like half my screen just disappears, and the auto button doest help...have to change the refresh rate to fix it.

champ2005 said:
Damn i want an lcd w/ DVI...every time i reboot like half my screen just disappears, and the auto button doest help...have to change the refresh rate to fix it.

so most LCD monitors don't come with DVI? :confused:

man this thread is ancient lol

t3kNo* - unfortunately most non-top-of-the-range lcds dont come with DVI. i really doesnt make sense. im sure a dvi-only screen would be cheaper than analog only (no need for those complex tuning programs) and most people in the market for an lcd have a dvi port on their card.

I was suprised when a friend of mine purchased an TFT with really good specs recently, when i asked him if it had DVI on it he said no, strange i thought, my sisters iiyama 15" tft which i picked up for £230 back last september has both dvi and analogue?? whats going on!

NerdUprising said:
it is actually going to have to be ticked for it to work... that check is saying "extend my workspace". If left unchecked - the card/drivers/operating system treat the secondary monitor as a clone of the first, rather than a seperate desktop

heres a screenshot of the display settings for the secondary monitor (make sure "use this device for primary monitor" is checked for the monitor that, obviously, you want as primary. for secondary, make sure only "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" is checked):

-granted my setup is ATI, but the nVidia should be similar
hope that helps :)
Thanx a lot, was just wondering if I could use my tv as an extended desktop (movie on tv and WinXP on my pc screen), and YES, it IS possible ! Me happy :D

every dvi-enabled monitor today has an analogue input today, which i think is completely useless. if i was going to spend $600AU for a dvi montior (15") i might aswell shell out another $130 for a crap video card that has a dvi port.
so yes you can have both, and they usually have a button to switch between the two modes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back