Dual Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by pcxgamer, Mar 12, 2004.

1. pcxgamer

pcxgamer OSNN Junior Addict

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 256MB is it possible to setup a dual monitor so that windows uses the monitor as two different monitors instead on one? And if so how would I do this I have tried using another video card but the card is a GF2 MX 400 and seems to create a performance problem as it is only a PCI. My GF FX card has two connection one is a VGA and the other is a DVI.

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

think you can use it as two different monitors if you untick "extend my windows desktop to this monitor" or something similar to that in the Desktop -> Settings

3. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

it is actually going to have to be ticked for it to work... that check is saying "extend my workspace". If left unchecked - the card/drivers/operating system treat the secondary monitor as a clone of the first, rather than a seperate desktop

heres a screenshot of the display settings for the secondary monitor (make sure "use this device for primary monitor" is checked for the monitor that, obviously, you want as primary. for secondary, make sure only "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" is checked):

-granted my setup is ATI, but the nVidia should be similar
    hope that helps :)

Attached Files:

Lee likes this.
  4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

You can use a switch I believe for the VGA connectors. Not too sure since I've never tried. But yeah, like Geffy and NerdUprising says... there's a setting for two monitors.

5. Petros

Petros Thief IV

And don't forget your DVI-to-VGA dongle! It sounds naughty, but it isn't.

6. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

aww yeah, gotta have a dongle ;)

that is unless you have a wonderful fountain of cash, and can buy an ultra über awesome plasma/LCD that uses a DVI connection (we should all be so lucky :) )

7. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Damn i want an lcd w/ DVI...every time i reboot like half my screen just disappears, and the auto button doest help...have to change the refresh rate to fix it.

8. dubstar

dubstar format c:

:) helped me too

9. t3kNo*

t3kNo* I Am Me

so most LCD monitors don't come with DVI? :confused:

10. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

man this thread is ancient lol

t3kNo* - unfortunately most non-top-of-the-range lcds dont come with DVI. i really doesnt make sense. im sure a dvi-only screen would be cheaper than analog only (no need for those complex tuning programs) and most people in the market for an lcd have a dvi port on their card.

11. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 OSNN Addict

I was suprised when a friend of mine purchased an TFT with really good specs recently, when i asked him if it had DVI on it he said no, strange i thought, my sisters iiyama 15" tft which i picked up for £230 back last september has both dvi and analogue?? whats going on!

12. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

how does it have bothh?

13. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Thanx a lot, was just wondering if I could use my tv as an extended desktop (movie on tv and WinXP on my pc screen), and YES, it IS possible ! Me happy :D

14. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

every dvi-enabled monitor today has an analogue input today, which i think is completely useless. if i was going to spend $600AU for a dvi montior (15") i might aswell shell out another $130 for a crap video card that has a dvi port.
    so yes you can have both, and they usually have a button to switch between the two modes.