Dual Booting w/ NTFS on Boot Partition

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jcs83md, Oct 26, 2002.

1. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

Anyone know a web page with information on adding a Windows 98 partition to an existing NTFS boot partition.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I think you will have to go to FAT32 for this to work. It cannot be done in NTFS. Partition magic will do it.
    Doug Knox.

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Well like Hipster said, Win98 is not compatible with NTFS. So I suggest you split your NTFS partition into two, and convert the second partition for win98 for FAT32.

4. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

Converted from NTFS to FAT32... Installed Windows 98, repaired the boot sector.. Put BOOTSECT.DOS back on.. and when I select Windows 98 at the Boot Loader.. the screen just flashes and the Boot Loader is back, as if nothing happened.

5. Hipster Doofus

Maybe if you checked around on Doug Knox's site you might find an answer somewhere. Let us now what happens.

6. debonairone

debonairone Guest

Boot into NT, from there edit the boot.ini file... you need to have a small understanding of ARC paths to do this... you will see at least two lines that look like a bunch of gibberish... one of these has two point to the win98 partition, and have the corresponding identifier so you know which one you're choosing... check M$ knowledgebase for info on editing the ARC path... when you copied the bootsect.dos back on, it is the old config and not the new one... when you created the partition for 98, did you place it before the NT partition or after? If you placed it after the NT partition you shouldn't have recieved the error, if you placed it before NT - well, you still need to edit the boot.ini file..

7. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

Problem was solved. Pointed the Windows 98 Boot Option straight to the BOOTSECT.DOS and it now works..

8. Hipster Doofus

So did you use that doug knox guide to do it. Wondering because I have never used it. :confused:

9. lance

lance Guest

boot partion

dear sir
    you cannot create a boot partion with ntfs with windows 98 as that is only fat 32 not ntfs but if you do it the other way around you can do it but you must keep the partion fat 32 with windows Xp which you can do then it will work I had the same problem my windows Xp insall automaticaly changed my disk to ntfs so be carefull if you dont change to fat32 you will have to reformat your hard disk again and start again.