Dual Booting for XP and Vista quick question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by zapoqx, Jan 29, 2007.

1. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

SO I've ordered my system and it shall be coming soon.
    Since I'm installing XP on it as the main, I'm partitioning my drive so that 100GB can be used for Vista. Since I have Vista Business Edition just sitting and waiting to be used, I wanted to know if I need to do anything special to get Windows XP and Vista to Dual Boot or will Vista Automatically setup that dual boot feature when installing to the partitioned drive?
    Thanks!

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Just make sure you install XP first, and Vista after that.
    Vista will automatically detect your XP setup and add it to the boot menu.

3. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Thanks for the info. I was planning to do XP first, so I guess it will work out well. Thanks!!!

4. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

I would be very careful doing dual booting between XP and Vista

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key
    If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

From Vista’s EULA found here (PDF) :

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

For many people this may not be a problem, but it’s a change from earlier versions of Windows.

Source
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-upgrade-invalidates-your-xp-key/74/

5. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I was about to post that, which I'm very pissed about. I do not want to pay the 500 or so for the full retail, but I still want me XP, god I hate them sometimes.

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

but that's only a problem if you purchase an upgrade license. He said he had a copy of Vista Business "laying around". My guess is he received his copy from the "power of together" promotion which is a full version.. not an upgrade version.

7. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

I was just relaying the information, as I'm not sure what they topic starter has planned but figured the more information the better

8. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Actually, got it through the MDNAA that one of my teacher's were in charge of getting. Its not upgrade, it is actual full copy.