dual boot?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by failurbydesign, Jun 4, 2007.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

I have vista installed, then i installed xp to a partition. Now i cant dual boot into vista. I booted up the vista dvd and repaired, but it still boots xp! any ideas?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

control>My System>Advanced Tab, then click startup and recovery at bottom. first thing u should see is which OS loads on boot up. You might see both OS there.

3. failurbydesign

where is that located???

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

oops.. control panel i mean. then System>...>...
    I don't know what it comes under on the XP view, I only use Classic view for CP.

5. failurbydesign

that i know, i need to add vista to that

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

ok, if Vista is not on the list, then from what I've heard, you probably have to install Vista again. Using repair won't help at all apparently.

7. failurbydesign

thats seems a bit much, im sure there is a fix some how

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

well, when u installed xp AFTER vista, u may have wiped out vista's boot management files in the process.

Just found something for you... hope it helps.

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

9. failurbydesign

i found that too, bit its this

how to dual boot Vista and XP with XP installed first.

But the link doesnt work..but i found out how

boot the vista dvd>repair>cmd

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Thats it, then ill add Xp using easybcd! Thanks for your help!

10. legodude83089

legodude83089 OSNN Dude

I'm also having similar problems. I first installed Vista. Then on a separate hard drive I installed XP. If I leave my Vista installation disk in the dvd drive I can boot to Vista but if I don't have it in the drive I get mbr errors.

If I unplug the XP hard drive and leave the vista installation disk out of the dvd drive I get mbr errors but if I put the vista installation disk in the dvd drive it directly boots into vista setup instead of giving me the choice to press a button to boot into vista setup or wait and boot to vista.

Once in setup and repair my Vista installation does not show up in the Windows installations window but before when I had my XP hard drive plugged in Vista would show up but not XP. I've tried all these solutions but none of them have helped.

So basically does anyone know how to get the boot loader on my Vista hard drive because apparently it is on my XP hard drive. Should I simply copy the \boot\ folder from my XP hard drive to my Vista hard drive or what?

Thanks.

11. failurbydesign

not sure, did you try the method above?

12. legodude83089

legodude83089 OSNN Dude

Well, I ended up copying the \boot\ folder along with the bootmgr file from my XP drive to my Vista drive. I then ran the startup repair wizard on the Vista installation disk without my XP drive plugged in. It fixed that and now I can boot to Vista without either the XP drive plugged in or my Vista installation disk in my dvd drive:). However I can't seem to configure my XP installation correctly on the Vista bootloader. Everytime I try to boot to XP my computer restarts, however if I have my XP installation disk in the dvd drive it will boot to XP. Strange things but I'll probably get it ironed out.

13. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Weird stuff! I'm glad my dual boot setup works with XP installed first then Vista 2nd on a 2nd drive. Had no issues at all. I was thinking about doing it the other way around since for some reason I thought the newer OS had to be installed first... odd!

14. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

programs like Vistabootpro and easybcd help with this. I had to use some weird command line stuff I found in some obscure place from google to get my dual boot (with vista installed first) but it works, heard of lots of succes with vistabootpro and easybcd though.

15. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

Hi folks,

I have installed XP AFTER Vista, but you do have to do a little tinkering. I used this website;

http://www.nukeation.net/2006/09/12/Installing+Windows+XP+After+Windows+Vista+RC1.aspx

There is another link i think, but that is what i used and it worked for me, i can select XP or Vista from the Boot Menu at start up.

Let us know how you get on,

Cheers.

16. legodude83089

legodude83089 OSNN Dude

I tried your method loaderbull and when I try to start XP I get an error saying Windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. I'm wondering if it is looking for this file on my Vista drive which is why it can't find it. Thanks for the help.