Dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Swi, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

Hey boys, hey girls, here we go!

I intend to put an old HD with winME on it and i want to have the possibility to choose from which OS i want to boot. I know XP can do this but i don't know is there a way to do it without reinstalling it. If it is not possible, is there any soft that can do it? (lilo, lino or something like that)

Thx!

2. elderec

elderec Guest

3. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

It's best to partition the drive so that each operating system has it's own partition. Mainly because Windows XP and Windows ME both use the Windows folder and Programs Folder (which would make a mess).

It's very important to intall Windows ME first!
    then Windows XP - if you do it the other way - then you need to do a re-intall of XP aftwards (over the top).

4. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

Thx for the replies... the fact is that i have 2 hard drives, one with XP and another with ME installed and i want to plug the second HD as a slave. So basically both os are already installed on two different hard drives. The only thing i want is something that let me choose from which os i want to boot

5. ssj4conejo

ssj4conejo Guest

I have a question too, i tried usign partition magic to make a linux partition. i have windows xp pro, NTFS partition... and it said since i had ntfs windows xp wouldnt be after i made a linux partition. WHY? is there another way

6. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

Swi, make the disk with ME on it the master, then modify the boot.ini file so it looks something like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition"

It's possible that they will work

7. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

Finally i took BootMagic which worked very fine, thanks for the help!

8. djwhite

damn, that got screwed up somewhere...
    ummm
    a couple of lines decided to display incorrectly, but you should be able to figure out which ones.

9. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

Now i have another little problem/question.
    Here's my setup first:
    HD #1: 3 partitions(1st with XP, 2nd and 3rd with data) Primary IDE Master
    HD #2: 1 partition with Win98 Primary IDE Slave

When i load with XP, i see both hd correctly so it looks like this:
    C: = XP
    D: = Data1
    E: = Data2
    F & G = CD-rom
    H: = Win98

When i load with Win98, my drive C is the partition with Win98 and i see the 2nd and 3rd partition of the first hd, so it look like this

C: = Win98
    D: = Data1
    E: = Data2
    F & G = CD-Roms

SO i can't see the partition with XP on it... is there a way to see it?!?! Maybe by plugging my second hd on the secondary IDE???
    any idea?

10. djwhite

If you have XP installed on an NTFS drive you wont be able to see it on 98/ME

11. Vorpal

Vorpal Guest

Sounds like your XP drive/partition is NTFS... nothing else will see that (except another NT OS).

12. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

i pretty sure it's a fat32 cause i never made any conversion... how can i be sure?

13. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

i confirm, it is FAT32...