Dual boot XP/Win98-- best back-up solution

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wingman411, Aug 7, 2003.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

I have a WD 120 and WD 40 gig drive. I am using the 120 with dual boot. I also have two other partitions on it one for data and one for music.

Right now I use Norton Ghost to clone the 120 with all the partitions onto the 40 and do that about once every two weeks. In case of a bad crash, I can do a clone of the 40 back to the 120 after I slick it.

My question is, what would be a better method of keeping a full backup of my system? I have both Norton Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic 8.

I don't want to start from scratch thou. All ideas welcome.

Thanks

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What is wrong with your current method of backing up? Sounds good to me :)

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I do a similar thing, I have 2000, XP, and changing linux distros on my main HDD and keep my Ghost backups on another. The only thing I would recommend, is to backup very important stuff to CD as a failsafe, I do this about once a month.

4. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

Physical backups are the best solution. Ive got Mandrake and XP dual boot on my WD 40, and my 100GB has all my other ****, music etc.

5. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Well if you want something done right you have to do it the way you like it done! :) Mr. Smiley:Good idea ViperSnake!

6. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

What I do is to keep a original ghost image with all my main programs loaded. I update it when I add one that I want to keep, and burn it to a rw dvd and replace the image when needed. All other data is in a directory on another drive which I back up to rw cd's. Have never lost anything important since.

ejm

7. I have very similar procedures as ejm except that I leave my orginal ghost image inact. Whenever I install and update my software such as norton virus definiations, I create a new image file that way I have the orginal installation in case something goes wrong. I keep all my ghost images in my 80 GB external USB2.0 Hard drive. That drive is filling up rapidly nowadays.