dual boot XP/98 error

P

Pfieffdog

Here's the problem. Last week I installed the new Maxtor 160gig HD on my dad's computer. It is running off an ATA 133 controller card. It is partitioned to 100gig and 60gig. I installed XP on the 100gig partition and 98 is installed on the original HD that came with the computer. Installation went smoothly and we get a dual boot screen and 98 loads perfectly fine. THe problem is that when I choose XP, it will go to the windows XP loading screen and then it craps out. It pops up an error saying to check the HD for viruses which i know there are none. THen it says to check for any newly installed HD controller cards or for any newly installed hard drives. Does anyone have any idea of how i can fix this problem or has anyone seen this before?

-Pfieff

Which one did you install first, 98 or XP? The rule of thumb is to install the older version first. I am dual-booting XP and 98 on my laptop because I have a DOS-based program that won't run under XP. I installed 98SE first, then XP Pro and it works great.

Apparently, there are ways to install the newer OS first, but it's very tedious and difficult, if you installed XP first, I would recommend re-doing it.

98 FIRST, XP LAST

Yea, 98 was on there first and i tried to add XP.

During the XP installation, did you load the drivers for the controller card at the F6 prompt?

It was simple for me... I have a 20GB drive on my laptop, so I created a 2GB partition (about 1.6GB more than I needed:)) for Windows 98 and installed it. Then I installed XP Pro, told it I wanted to do a fresh install... used the unpartitioned space, and it worked perfectly.

No, I don't...but I'm not the one that is having the trouble. :)

I know you can press F6 to install some third-party stuff, though, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, third party drivers for the ATA133 controller he's got plugged in.

Right after XP copies it's files and reboots, the first message is a prompt for the disk that comes with this hardware. It says something like "press F6 if you have any SCSI stuff I need to know about." Obviously I don't have it memorized exactly, but that's necessary to initialize the controller correctly.

Yes, when everything was first loading i pressed F6 and it told me to insert the disk with the driver for the controller card and I did so. Then when it got the drivers off the disk, it said that the ones bundled with the windows install are newer then the ones from the disk so i just went with the driver that was on the windows XP install disk. Any other ideas

-Pfieff

The only thing I can really think of is that there's some kind of conflict between the regular IDE channels and the new controller card. You might try putting the old disk on the card too and see if it will still boot for you.

My next suggestion would be to create a primary Fat32 partition on the new drive and transfer the old drives contents to it (using norton ghost or something). Then install XP onto one of the extended, logical partition(s) and losing the old drive as the primary boot drive.

If you put the old drive on the card and it boots ok, you'll need to load the drivers for the controller card first thing.

Man, don't know what's wrong with my thinking, but I completely spaced off some real basic stuff. I don't know what controller card you have, but go the the manufacturer's website and look for updated bios and drivers. These controllers typically have there own flash eprom. This issue may have already been addressed in one of their revisions. While you're there look at their hard drive list and make sure your drive is compatible with the card.

Lonman, thanks for the replies, I am at work right now on my lunch break and I will try to get an updated bios or driver from the controller card manuf. website. I'll keep you posted.

-Pfieff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back