dual boot problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Oct 21, 2002.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

my dad made a mistake and installed a dual boot and he did not mean to. is there a way to remove it without a format? they are both xp and we want to save the original one.

thanks

2. asidik

asidik Guest

One Solution

One method of solving your problem is to use a Partioning software.

I would recommend PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 8, because it can be used from inside of windows xp and most operations can be performed without rebooting or leaving windows.

Asidik:D

3. seperatist

thanks, that was what i was going to try.

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

pick one version of windows xp that you are gonna keep. The other one you can throw it away... and afterwards remove the bootline for that version of xp from your boot.ini file, but i am not sure this will work so can someone back me up...

5. rettahc

rettahc Guest

I think your right, he should be able to boot up into the install that he wants to keep and delete the other one, and then remove it from the boot.ini

6. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

you wanting to get rid of the other instalation of XP ? or just make sure it doesn;t show up ?

Get rid off:
    Partition magic process as mentioned in post 2... just break the wall basically

Not show up:
    Edit the boot.ini file.. just set it to boot of yer main os.. not show the other one at all

boot.ini - gui edit = control panel -> system -> advanced tab -> Click Settings under the Start/recovery section... just set it up there m8

Hope that helps m8...

MdSalih

7. asidik

asidik Guest

Actually if you wish to remove it then I will use PMagic 8 like said in post 2 and then remove the extra line from the boot.ini.

pm me if you wish more detailed info

8. seperatist

thanks to all, i got it working.

thanks again