Dsl Vs Cable

P

psx2000

Anyone know what kind of download KB/sec rates they get? I am try to tell my friend to go with Cable but it would help if i had the exact #s.

I think DSL is 1.5 mbs and Cable is 10 mbs am I correct?

What does this equal in KBS?

I was curious what do you think is better?

The cable connection I have back home is a 3.5 mbit line...so that's technically about 435 KB/s. But since it's a shared connection with the rest of the neighborhood, I used to usually get downloads upto 350 KB/s on good servers. I haven't ever heard of 10mbit cable connections.

Cable usually has higher download rates than ADSL, especially if it's a high bandwidth connection, and it's not shared by too many households. The advantage of ADSL is that it's a dedicated connection that you don't share with anyone.
I still prefer cable, simply because the bandwidth I personally receive even after sharing it with the neighborhood is higher than any ADSL provider in the area can offer. And it costs less too...

Ok but on average before the end user what is cables max and dsl max send capabilities in KBS?

Thanks for the info.

By "send capabilities" do you mean upload bandwidth? If so, I'd say they're quite similar...usually offering 256kbits upstream, which is 32 KB/s.
Downstream bandwidth on cable can range anywhere between 1.5mbit (185 KB/s) to 3.5mbit (435 KB/s) depending on the provider. I'd say you can expect an average of around 200-250 KB/s downstream on a decent cable connection.
DSL also varies. You might want to check the sites of the providers in your area to see what the exact numbers are. I'm not too familiar with the exact numbers DSL providers usually offer.

my cable s 1.7mbits and I get about 250k downloads all the time.

Mine is 3.5Mb down (most days) and 128kb up. I went with cable where I live because it's a LOT cheaper than DSL (in this area, anyway).

get Cable if you can

I got cable uncapped(10Mbit) which is about 1280/kbs up, it's also the same speed up.

The only bummer is that I got a 3GB download limit so make sure that when choosing your broadband internet, get one with plenty of Downloads ;)

Another thing to watch for is that on DSL the speed is hampered by the distance from the source. I just switched to DSL in my area to save money over the Comcast connection. I lost some speed on download and SBC put on some hidden charges and now my DSL is NOT cheaper than cable. Also Comcast has said it will have all of there costumers at 3mb down by the end of the year. I should have never switched. :( I am tied into a 1 year contract with SBC Yahoo now.

Check on www.dslreports.com for information on ISP's in your area........

:)

DSL companies are usually more leniant than cable. My provider has no problems with me running a server, using a router, there is not a transfer limit. Alot of cable companies will not let you do any of these things.

You've got a point there. My cable company will let you do anything but run a server, but there are some ISPs with some really draconian rules.

Call and check them out on the web before you make a decision. Find out what you need to accomplish with your connection versus price and choose based on that.

Originally posted by psx2000
Ok but on average before the end user what is cables max and dsl max send capabilities in KBS?

This is dependent on which DSL standard you are aquiring and what type of cable service you are wanting.

DSL has a current theoretical max speed of 50Mb (6.25MB/s). This is on the g.mnt, vDSL, standard. While it is possible to obtain DSL at that speed, it is incredibly difficult to find a provider that will support it, not to mention a location that is within the maximum distance needed for it. Normally, though, the average residential DSL provider (which uses the g.lite standard) can range anywhere from 128K to 6Mb (16KB/s to 750KB/s) with the maximum over g.lite being 10Mb (1.25MB/s).

Cable internet has the potential maximum of about 44Mb (5.5MB/s) down and about 22Mb (2.75MB/s) up. It is possible to reach those speeds over cable, however the limit here is not the user as one would believe, but the speed of the DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 standards. Under these standards, cable internet is limited to 10Mb (1.25MB/s) via the 10-BaseT interface found on cable modems. Thus, the possible maximum via a standard DOCSIS compliant modem would be 10Mb (1.25MB/s).

DSL's main selling point is that it is a non-shared system. This is, however not exactly true. Yes, you are not being shared from your home to the CO. However once you are at the CO, you connection is shared with the other DSL customers routing through their system. While it is possible to get fast connection speeds with DSL, you are still limited by the amount of traffic at the CO and over the net. Because of IP reasons, a lot of DSL providers will allow you to host servers or other dedicated equipment. If you want a static IP, they usually can give them out for a few dollars more per month.

Cable is a shared bus network. You connection is "shared" with the other cable users in your area. Most cable providers set the maximum speed per user between 1.5 and 3Mb (187.5KB/s to 375KB/s). However, it is not uncommon to find someone like me with a 10Mb cable connection (actually pay for it :)). Cable is usually always on and, considering you have a decent provider/network, can be quite fast and reliable. A lot of providers give guaranteed minimum speeds (the ones that operate over fiber backbone lines) so try to find some that do. Cable providers usually do not like servers run on their network (without subscribing to business services or some sort of home networking plan) because of traffic issues. Servers over cable usually consume more bandwidth than needed, thus causing a henderence with other users.

Personally, I prefer cable to DSL. Much cheeper in the speed to price ratio.

There are no longer any "general rules".

Cable used to be faster but many cable providers are going broke so they are over selling their bandwidth and have put upload limiters on that are as bad as ADSL. Watch out for Charter and Comcast.

YOU HAVE TO CAREFULLY READ ALL INFO from each provider in your area! Then make a decision based on the facts for your providers.

Things to watch for:

1.5 mbps is not 1.5 mBps. Capital B is bytes. Small b is bits (8 times slower). Companies are very careless (or not) when advertising speed.

Cheap for the first 3-12 months then rates will double.

Speed will be listed as guaranteed and maximum. You cna only be sure of getting the guaranteed speeds.

Hidden install connection and equipment charges.

Bad latency (ping/lag) on cable during the weekends and holidays due to excessive net activity on the local wire.

Restrictive security measures like VPNs required (at extra cost) to be able to connect to gaming sites.

Asynchronous versus Synchronous speeds. DSl usually comes in Asynchronous download at 748 kbits per second (~80k Bytes per second) upload at 128 kbits per second (~14kBytes per second, barely better than dial up). It is getting real common for cable operaters to apply the same limit to save bandwidth.

Knock off another 25% for protocol overhead when figuring what speed you really get.

PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE MONTHLY AFTER YOUR CONTRACT EXPIRES!

Damn that's fast! There is a guy at techzonez getting 60.097 Mbps
(7.512 MBps)
File Size: 600.005 KB
Time Elapsed: 0.078 seconds - that's the fastest i've heard.

Originally posted by j79zlr
DSL companies are usually more leniant than cable. My provider has no problems with me running a server, using a router, there is not a transfer limit. Alot of cable companies will not let you do any of these things.

Who is your provider? I used to work for Cox Cable and you're right.....you cannot run servers or your ish will be shut off for abuse.

I have Covad DSL.

As far as the 60Mbps guy, he's either running Fiber or lying. T3 only gets speeds of 45Mbps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back