dsl vs. cable

I love my cable connection. I live in a small town and most people have DSL so cable is superfast. My highest download was at 600k/s (yup!!) and the average download speed is between 200-300k/s.

SWEET

SBC DSL has 768/128 as its basic speed at $49 a month (same as RoadRunner in my area), and for only $10 more a month, I get 1.5 mbs/256k. Plus, DSL providers (mine included) tend to be MUCH more forgiving about running your own web/FTP servers. If you try that on RoadRunner, they'll threaten to disconnect you if you're caught.

Whoever said they're paying $80 a month for decent bandwidth on DSL, you're getting ripped off.

Also, DSL and POTS runs on the same damn wire at my house. You should NOT have to get a second phone line just to get DSL, unless your local wire sucks.

And even then, I live in an OLD house where a lot of the phone wiring looks like old man Bell himself ran it. DSL runs shared with POTS just fine on it.

I am not sure about Cable, but with ADSL you can have to share the connection. In most cases you will be given a "Contention Ratio" which the max number of users per DSL line. Home users typically get 50:1 which means that you can have to share with 49 other people. Businesses usually get 20:1. As the number of users is usually filled to capacity it is more steady. The contention ratio doesnt really affect your quality of bandwidth, though if you get a lower contention ration you get higher speed. 50:1 gives about 256 down 128 up, 20:1 gives about 2mb down and 1 up max.

I hate all of you. Comcast is the only cable providor in our area, so were are stuck with 150k up and 14k down. I had verison but it was 50k down and 10k up. I hate philly for those reasons. Anyone else know about this?

I don't know where you live, but in Atlanta(Earthlink's world wide head quarters =]) I get DSL that rivals or beats anything out there(i clock in usually between 800kb-1.7mbps) for 55 dollars a month, and I got a free modem, free filters, and when the filters didn't work, they sent a guy out to give us a free splitter and he installed it too!

so...I definately prefer DSL, and also DSL is more often uncapped, and what they don't tell you(some companies fixed this, some didn't), is with DSL, the speed is for EACH transfer, where as cable it is TOTAL...thus I can hit 800kbps on 4 transfers at a time, where as the max for cable would be 650kbps on each

Cable quotes are the max for the whole line. DSL are the area of bandwidth reserved for you. The amount which is Guaranteed to you. Cable with loads of people on it can be worse than dialup speeds. I have a friend who used to have cable. He also kept a dialup system ready as well for when the cable got bad. Now he has ADSL, so far as I know he has scrapped the dialup modem.

:D :D got my new dsl just yesterday finally..... sweet works well for me, right over existing lines
5 min to hook it up another min to share to all other computers weeeeeeeee fun for the whole family

Hope the installation goes as well for me as it did for you.

Here a lot of ppl use cable and dsl, you dont need a second phone line both are very cheap, less then 30 bucks canadian per month. I have been using cable for 7 years now, been tempted to try dsl a few times, however our local dsl provider (the phone company) is going to something called PPPOE [think thats how it's spelled] apparently everyone will have a cap, 5 gigs per month I believe, people are heading back to cable in droves

the major thing about dsl vs cable is speed

dsl's speed is a set ammount, usally alot lower (like 312k-1mbs)

and low-end dsl would be $30 a month for something a little better than 56k, where as some high-end dsl (my friend had this) the download speed would max around 90kb/s and he payed $90 for this

I have road runner cable. Its $50 per month. The download is restricted to 2mbs wich means i get a max download speed of 250kb/s. The upload speed is restricted to 350kilobits/s so its's only like max is 50kb/s

Broad band is really worth it.

Yeah...

In some areas, like here in parts of ameritech land you have to have a second phone line. A lot of times they are not equipped to handle the same line. So it is possible to have to run a second line sometimes.

DANG!!!

DANG there are alot of people with cable, you lucky dogs! Well bottom line is, I'd get Cable if I could afford it, plus I don't really know what kinda of situation I'd be in with sharing my cable line with neighbor's. So I got DSL and for my price, around $30 a month it's plenty fast and plenty steady for me.

It all depends on where you live and just what you can get. Like I said if I knew that I'd be getting INSANELY fast cable service ALL the time, and could afford it I'd go with cable sooo fast it'd be scary. But for some it seems it'd be worth it to pay a little more for cable, let's say if they lived out in the boonies and didn't have newer phone lines that can handle DSL. Also I dunno how good satillite broadband is, I heard it's not that great comparitively, but hey if you can't get cable or DSL reguraly and are stuck with 56k I'd take whatever broadband I could get, I'm never ever ever ever going back to that.

So I say take whatever you can get your grubby hands on, but what it comes down to is how much you're willing to spend(like so many other things in life). Also you can get a beefed-up(more bandwith) DSL line, again all depends on how much you wanna cough up monthly...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back