DSL Internet Question

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
I get the "Error 769: The destination port is unreachable."

I have all the configuration(physical + net setup) stuff setup 100%. Problem is when i researched it on the net it said it is a driver issue. The internet worked for about 2/3 weeks then stopped all of a sudden. So my question is how can i check which drivers i need if it is drivers issue. It is on board gateway machine ... the name that appears in device manager is 1394 Net Adapter. Any help?

From MS Support - not much help as usual.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316395
Error 769: The specific destination is not reachable.
-or-
Error 769: "Either you specified a destination address that is not valid, or your remote server is down."

1) Try and connect through another computer if you have one to make sure that it is not a remote server issue at your ISP. Call their help line or if you can log on at all (like using dial up) check theri website for outages.

2) Roll back windows to a time when your DSL was working. That will restore any drivers thta got damaged. I was doing a windows update tonight and it knocked out my internet service until I rolled back to a previous driver. Don't accept hardware driver updates from microsoft unless you are having a problem (I should listen to my own advice).

I would be surprised if your internet was coming through a 1394 device. That is firewire, not your normal NIC adapter.

3) Try reinstalling the NIC devixe driver from your repair CD that came with the computer. Or if you can log on through a modem download the drivers from gateway.

My friend has missed place his CD.... thats why the drivers cant be found. Not sure where i can get drivers from to install. They only have the onboard NIC connected which when i check was 1394.

Also is it possible that they are having issues because they have different providers for both the phone line and DSL line. They are using BELL phone and POLTEL ADSL tech.

Its a stupid gateway PC doesnt have model number on it

Last edited:
bound to be a label on there somewhere that says its model number, prob on the bottom, it will help a lot if we knew a model number :)

The on board nic is not the 1394 thats for sure, you can open the case and look inside for a model number ... there is a serial number somewhere on that machine with that we can go to the website and find the drivers, and as Lee said , roll back the machine with system restore.

ok .... i may be going over tonight. Is there a way around i dont know if they want to void the warranty?

Last edited:
The on board nic is not the 1394 thats for sure, you can open the case and look inside for a model number ... there is a serial number somewhere on that machine with that we can go to the website and find the drivers, and as Lee said , roll back the machine with system restore.

model number, serial number - all the same to me - i just need one or the other to sniff out the drivers :D

funny story/...... called the person. she gave me the SN: 63301910441... but that doesnt match gateways 10 or 13 number digit set........ but she said model number of pc is AL1916W A
was wondering if anyone knowws which one that is in the selection of desktops.... for gateway... trie dlooking but they dont have those numbers unless i am missing something about it

Yeah she saod that it looked like this

Model No: AL1916W

I have a uqestion if i go there and run windows builtin sys information would it find the name of the card? Just so u all know this is the mobo onboard card we are talking about.

AL1916W

That number is a monitor has nothing to do with the network adapter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back