DSL Connection Hangs

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HellyHans, May 3, 2002.

1. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Hi, well I have this weird problem.

When I start up my machine, the moment I'am in windows and I click on my connection to get me connected via DSL, My system Hangs for like 30 secs, and then starts up and connects me and everything is fine.

What's causing this? and If I start windows, and wait like a little before hitting the button, it connects fast.

Thx for your help

-=Helly=-

2. koko

koko Got Root?

i'm no expert, but my guess would be that if you're trying to connect via dsl the exact second windows xp pops up, then your 'puter is prob still loading other apps. when you wait for a while and then try to connect, these apps have loaded and it connects faster.

try taking some of the unnecessary apps out of your start-up menu.

go to start button, then run, and type msconfig. this brings up a window and you'll see a start up menu tab. click there and choose programs that aren't necessary for windows to boot.

do not uncheck boxes with c:windows\ next to them...

3. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

well actually

Actually, everything does load, I look at my HD light and everything loads it blinks all sorts, then everything stops loading, light goes off.

THEN I try to connect, and it takes like 20-30 sec's for the pop-up windows to come up and start connecting.

ALSO when the system hangs, I don<t have access to my start menu or taskbar. Only Items on the desktop.

I also read this article that takes about it, but I didnt try it yet.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=859

ALSO

this site has alot of usefull info on Windows services and see if you need them running or not.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=799

thx