Driver updates from Windows update?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by leedogg, Oct 5, 2003.

1. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

When I do the windows update scan, it tells me that I need the following:
    "NVIDIA display software update" and "Creative multimedia software update"

What the heck are these? Are these trying to replace my current sb live drivers and nvidia video drivers?
    Good idea to update these or not?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I always prefer to get the drivers for all my hardware directly from the manufacturer's site. So, in this case, I'd look at the nVidia, and Creative sites for updated driver versions, and install them instead.

I stopped using WU drivers after I had a bad experience with a display driver that was up a long time ago. Ended up having to format and reinstall to fix the problem. :(

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

These ones? (attached) I'm interested if it's worth it too...

4. wadada

wadada Moderator

. . .

dont download them, keep your excisting drivers, the drivers you talk about on microsoft update site are older.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

The dates look really old. Wouldn't it just be better to download the latest Detonators from nVidia's site. I assume Creative has their own set as well, right?

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Yup, got the dets and (28 fecking meg) driver pack from creative, seems quite strange that they still appear even after I have these installed though.

7. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

*nods*
    Ahuh, same with me... *kicks WU's drivers*

8. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

Yeah those speedy_b. I wasnt sure what those drivers were. So they are actually nvidia detonator drivers and creative sb drivers? I think I'd rather stick to the versions I d/l manually and use then...

9. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Always use manufactuer supplied drivers over anything that MS provides. You will get better speed and functionality from the original manufacturer's driver.

JJB

10. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

A longtime I used windows update drivers rather than the manufacturer's driver. I have now become a born again driver user. I always use the latest manufacturer's drivers from their sites.

I am sick and tired of M$ support service (well it aint no service really).

So under options on M$ update site I now have checked not to receive driver support. Blah I have come out of the closet now :p

11. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Microsoft reckons they're troubleshooting drivers - I reckon they're trouble causing :D