Dr Watson crashes my system.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Hey All,

My system randomly pops up "Dr Watson (drwtsn32.exe) has encountered a problem and needs to close". I have never run this so I can only assume Windows is running it in response to a program crash. If I click on Ok or yes or whatever it is to end the program nothing happens. I have to ctrl alt del to close it and then there are usually 2 or 3 copies of drwtsn32.exe running. Once thery are all closed, explorer shuts down and I lose any open folders or IE windows. The only time this happens is when I am browsing my files and folders and only than when I access them by desktop shortcut rather than going through My Computer. I've checked for viruses (a virus that screws with shortcuts .. not likely) and spyware and I am clean on those fronts. I have XP Pro w/SP2, 2.4Ghz P4 & 1.5 gigs of ram. Any ideas?

Ah, Dr. Watson. Think I remember that from Win 3.xx. Could be wrong tho'. I think it's the prog that runs concurrent w/ explorer.exe when browsing files or docs. I get that same prob occasionally, esp. when opening folders w/ lots of thumbnails in them. I always thought that I was 'cos i was accessing too much at once & my ram & hdd couldn't keep. Not sure tho.

When the crash happens check the event log to get more info, there must be a problem with explorer or how you access the folders.

Also you can view the Dr watson log and maybe get more insight to the problem.

drive letter:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

Dr watson

I'll check the log and see, if I can't figure it out I'll upload one.

Thanks

i remember working at imperial oil in the summer and every so often you would hear engineers screaming that all their data was lost cuz of dr.watson errors.

what is dr.watson

its the application that creates the crash dump report that gets sent to MS. If it crashes as well as our app you need to consider running something like memtest86 and possibly replacing your ram.

Disable dr watson if you want.

programs > accessories > system tools > system info

tools > dr watson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back