Downloads Speeds Killed by Uploads

TheBlueRaja

BR to Some
Hi All,
When using P2P applications, i am having real trouble with people uploading from me because it kills my download speed. When i first connect i am downloading at around 70Kps if i get someone with a really good connection, however as soon as someone trys to connect to me, to download something from my share, my download speed drops something in the region of 40k to 50k. Meaning that either i do the dirty and leave hubs as soon as i find what i want or i sit there downloading at around 20kps until they have finished.

I have NO idea how to get this one sorted and would love any help you could give me.

If its any help i am using a Network port on my Nforce 2 Mobo and the drivers are version 3.1.3.0.

Thanks

kazaa has an option for upload bandwidth, i set mine to isdn speeds, letting them have 128kb upload,

That is the nature of the TCP protocol. Acknowlegments must be sent from your PC during transmission. When your upload is maxed it slows the acknowledgement packets, therefore slowing the download, nothing you can do about it.

Hmmm,
I hear what you are saying j79zlr, but a 50k drop in speed?

Surely not...

If you can't get your acknowlegments sent, you download can slow to a crawl. Surely so...there is no problem, this is how it works.

I believe that you can limit the upload bandwith you give in KaZaA, they usually lower your download speed, but not as much as what you were saying.

The ACK packets ain't big at all, they are pretty small compared to the actual data packets.

What p2p software are you using? Someone may be able to help you with an option to limit upload speed

DC++

To be honest, i dont want to limit upload speeds, dosent seem fair - but then again neither is leeching..

What really sucks is with emule it starts uploading your files before you even connect to a server because they already have your IP address----------------

There is only one way i would treat a program that does that - and that would be getting it the fook off my system asap..

That is a downright cheek.... Tell me your not going to stick with it.

I trust the mule and my settings, along with my anti---- programs that safeguard my system. The files are almost 95% virus/trojan free. I will stick with it. I'm hoping 30b/c will eliminate this options for uploaders.

4. Joe Pesci????

If you are Using Dc++ Or ODC, just use Netlimiter or some similar program. I had the same problem with upload stealing alll my download speed when my former ISP switched my connection from Full duplex to Half... The *******s...

Never had this problem. But then again i have a huge download/upload pipe.

You should however not notice such a big drop in speed, it would be more like 3 or 9 KB/sec that you should lose.

If you see a huge speed drop, check your lan settings, and make sure your network card is using full duplex, and your modem settings are all correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back