downing street memo[POLITICS]

Re: anyone believe this? [POLITICS]

perris said:
a war court I would love...that would be rich...the man faceing a trubunal along the same lines he wants other heads of state to be held

that would be rich

Not a tribunal. Our President will never answer to an international court, no matter who it is. Not Bush, not Clinton, not anyone. A war court, inside our own boundaries. Enough fantasy questions already. I now see that you are asking it simply for some perverse pleasure. If you feel you have somehow "trapped" me into contradicting myself, you haven't. I still have no clue what prompted this line of questioning. Maybe you've had one too many in the last few hours and now you're just havering?

Last edited:

Not a tribunal. Our President will never answer to an international court, no matter who it is. Not Bush, not Clinton, not anyone. A war court, inside our own boundaries.
no, I don't think so either...but that would be irony that's for sure

I almost used the word "Tribunal" too, but I realized that would make it sound too international, and our President doesn't answer to any international authority by our laws. If he did, we wouldn't have an impeachment process.

impeachment wouldn't do a damned thing since cheney would take over

he's allready taken over

perris said:

he's allready taken over

Well, maybe they could find some obscure memo and impeach him too. I wouldn't mind President Hastert. Sounds like you just despise the administration in general, though; you're quick to jump on and/or believe every piece of information that could possibly link them to any kind of scandal whatsoever. Look at all these threads you have started in the last six months.

I honestly can't fault you for it, or anyone else who has ever done it (myself included). Political parties on all sides of all issues have done that since the beginning of politics. It had no real beginning and will have no end, as long as humans are human.

Maybe this is for another thread, but I'm becoming more and more jaded to politics, yet more fired up at the same time. I will run for office someday on the platform that I hate politics, have beliefs that I stand firmly on, no matter what, and I will fight hard and win in the court of public opinion to preserve my reputation (like Eminem did with his haters...listen to his lyrics and press conferences :) he's a hoot).

Sazar said:
Why is it a piece of b.s.?

Why is anything remotely condemning of the current administration considered bogus to start off with? The brits have not challenged the authenticity of the document and they came up with it.

I don't think some people would want it to be true; and for that I couldn't blame them, considering the implications...

Looking at the document myself, I don't know. The style for re-production of the document, aka as a news article leaves it less possible to track it back. If they for instance had photo-copies of the original, where all the signatures could be checked, one could check that all the stamps/seals are in order, it would be possible to say if it looks authentic... This, as a method of publication which I've seen in the past (though perhaps not most feasible in this given medium) leaves the possibility of document analysis open...

As to Iraq, we all do have our views on that, and I had stated mine. The document itself, from the article itself, I don't really know if it's authentic or not...

As to your second question, I think we both have an idea of "why" by now...

perris said:

he's allready taken over

There is a stronger case for impeachment v/s Cheney than there is Bush based on his actions supporting the nuclear option which were blatantly unconstitutional.

Sazar said:
There is a stronger case for impeachment v/s Cheney than there is Bush based on his actions supporting the nuclear option which were blatantly unconstitutional.

It's been a long while since I studied Constitutional Law, but does the Constitution even leave a provision for the impeachment of a VP? I know there are provisions for the President and also Supreme Court Justices, but a VP? Same could go if one mentioned Rummy, where there I'm rather certain the impeachment clause wouldn't apply (there being no doubt other provisions for an Administration to deal with such offences should they occur there)...

people are believing the memo because the tenets of the issues are already testified as accurate by bush advisor's and aids

we have already been told that Bush had Iraq on his mind from his first days in office...

when Afghanistan attacked America, we already know as a fact from Bush's testimony himself that the first thing Bush wanted to do was attack Iraq immediately.

even though he knew it was Afghanistan that we needed to respond against

we also know as a fact from rumsfeld and rice's own testimony that rumsfeld wanted to ignore Afghanistan entirely and go after Iraq for what afghanistan did to us

unbelieveable

we also know as a fact that rumsfeld took the resources that were earmarked for the boys and girls in Afghanistan and he put them aside for the initiative in Iraq long before he had any notion that the attack in Iraq would be approved

we also know as a fact that the very people that supplied the information Bush used to make his case for war in Iraq told him his case was not accurate, and we know as a fact that he used the said data after he was told what he wanted to say didn't stand

so even though the actual memo seems staged to me, the entire hypothesis is not hard to believe at all

Last edited:

perris said:
people are believing the memo because the tenets of the issues are already testified as accurate by bush advisor's and aids

we have already been told that Bush had Iraq on his mind from his first days in office...

when Afghanistan attacked America, we already know as a fact that the first thing Bush wanted to do was attack Iraq immediately even though he knew it was Afghanistan that we needed to respond against

we also know as a fact that rumsfeld wanted to ignore Afghanistan entirely and go after Iraq instead.

we also know as a fact that rumsfeld took the resources that were earmarked for Afghanistan and put them aside for the initiative in Iraq long before he had any notion that the attack in Iraq would be approved

we also know as a fact that the very people that supplied the information Bush used to make his case for war in Iraq told him his case was not accurate, and we know as a fact that he used the said data after he was told what he wanted to say didn't stand

so even though the actual memo seems staged to me, the entire hypothesis is not hard to believe at all

True, there are quite a number of things I've heard of, and independently have been convinced of... And short of documentary evidence, that is what one would have to base their assesement upon. I think much of this would come down to one's views of the Iraq war and the events surrounding the entrence into it, a priori how people will assess the document.

What would be nice, and would help resolve some of the unknown concerning the memo itself, is if it's signatures, seals, official marks, etc could be analyzed. If through handwritting analysis for instance, it could be demonstrated that the signatures are obvious forgeries, then it would put the memo into question in doubt... Same if the seals (which shouldn't very much as if they were hand written, because the same device is used to imprint the paper) are slightly off... It would essentially be the same thing used when someone isn't sure if a legal document was in question and one was looking for a forgery...

If on the other hand, everything checks out as being reasonably correct and in order, and the information is also confirmable otherwise...it'd be the strongest case that could be made that a document is in fact legit... The typing of a document into a news article does result in some loss of information (concerning the document itself), which leaves such independent verification harder...

But yes, there is independent colloboration for the points you're making above...

Oh, and speaking of entering into Iraq, another account (albeit it would be seperate from this memo) is one given in Bush's Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W Bush Presidential. A meeting was said to be held with key Repubs and Karl Rove... On a power point presentation was found on slide 16, essentially:

To win 2002 Congressional elections for the Republican Party and increase our power:

- Talk about war against terror and war in Iraq
- Above all, don't let the media focus on the economy

This was said (by the author of Bush's Brain to have been composed before the war in Iraq ever became an issue in the public's eye...

Son Goku said:
It's been a long while since I studied Constitutional Law, but does the Constitution even leave a provision for the impeachment of a VP? I know there are provisions for the President and also Supreme Court Justices, but a VP? Same could go if one mentioned Rummy, where there I'm rather certain the impeachment clause wouldn't apply (there being no doubt other provisions for an Administration to deal with such offences should they occur there)...

Yes.

The constitution uses impeachment as a form of protection for the nation. It allows for removal of a member of office who for whatever reason is damaging the nation, the people, the constitution or all of the aforementioned. It is not strictly related to the president though he is typically the easiest to impeach and others can simply be fired or re-assigned.

Sazar said:
Yes.

The constitution uses impeachment as a form of protection for the nation. It allows for removal of a member of office who for whatever reason is damaging the nation, the people, the constitution or all of the aforementioned. It is not strictly related to the president though he is typically the easiest to impeach and others can simply be fired or re-assigned.

Thanks pal. You prompted me to go back and look at this again. I actually took Constitutional Law back in spring semester 1995... I guess in 10+ years a few details slipped my mind. Specifically it's in Article II, Section 4, and the VP among others are mentioned there...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/article02/

Section 4.

The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Sort of surprised that it slipped my mind...

Last edited:

BTW, while searching for the above, a few comments some might find of interest wrt impeachment, came up... The link below contains some of the history surrounding impeachment and what would have been on the framer's mind at the time wrt the matter.

http://www.lib.utah.edu/epubs/hinckley/v2/romney.htm

Much of what the framer's had in mind concerning an impeachable offence comes down to what they meant by "high crimes and misdemeanors"... The Constitutional Law text we used, concluded it's mention on impeachment (in the chapter on the Legislative Branch), in this vein. In relation to Nixon's impeachmen and the controvery surrounding it:

To some extent, purely partisan considerations dictated the positions taken--for example Nixon's assertion that impachment required a criminal violation. Yet these controversies reflected as well a genuine uncertainty about the Framer's intent. On the one hand, the Constitutional Convention's rejection of impeachment for "maladministration" bespeaks the Framers' determination to prevent impeachments motivated merely by political disagreements. On the other hand, the emphasis on "abuse or violation of some public trust" in The Federalist, No. 65, suggests that a criminal act is not necessary for impeachement. (This was the position taken by the House committee which recommended impeachment of President Nixon.) Most likely, no precise definition of "high Crimes or Misdemeanors" is possible. The Framers' concern about the proper forum for trying impeachments, as voiced both in the Constitutional Convention and The Federalist, suggests a recognition that ultimately these terms would be defined in the judgement of specific cases.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back