Double XP??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Metonic, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Metonic

Metonic Guest

Today i tried to to reinstall windows xp , but when i chose to start a full install it installed himself on my second drive , leaving the first version of windows xp on my computer. I can't get the second version off my computer. I'm now downloading a bootdiskmaker , maybe it will help if i just delete the second version in dos? I don't want to format the second disk , because there a lot of important information on it. Who can help me get rid of the second version of windows xp?

2. 1bLaDe1

1bLaDe1 Guest

why dont u try shifting ure important data to the other drive? and then format it from dos ... A good boot disk is "Ultimate Boot Disk(UBD)" look for it on download.com ...

-{bLaDe}

3. Metonic

Metonic Guest

but don't i get stuck with some stupid bootmenu then. I now can choose between xp and xp. Isn't that bootmenu configured in autoexec.bat or config.sys on the c:?

4. 1bLaDe1

1bLaDe1 Guest

hmm i dunno wht u really want, do u want windows xp only instaled on one drive? well format the other one ... once u only have winxp installed on say C: drive, then it should automaticly boot ... if not, configure it to from the bios ...?

-{bLaDe}

5. Metonic

Metonic Guest

well , i formatted the other drive , but i still have some stupid boot menu.

6. sjp777

sjp777 Guest

to get rid of the 2nd OS boot up option, go to control panel, system, advanced tab at the top. Click on settings in the startup and recovery section.

then click on edit in the system start up section.

a notepad window should open and the last 2 text entries should be this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Delete the one that references disk 2 or partition 2, wherever the 2nd install went

save the file, close out of control panel and reboot. No more option during boot.