DOS problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by karl_axe, Feb 6, 2003.

1. karl_axe

karl_axe OSNN Addict

i've been using XP for about a year now. i find everything to be fine (not mentioning XP is a big memory hog) but it seems XP has problems handling DOS applications

am i correct or have i not learned enough? is their an XP setup that would enhance DOS progs?

im a computer engineering student and i do a lot of programming in languages like Turbo C and assembly.

my screen just stops responding when I run Turbo C in full screen. also, i have problems in accessing the printer port from DEBUG.

pls help. tnx a lot. :happy:

2. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Not sure if it'll help in this case, but it's worth a shot. Go into the properties of the program you are trying to run and set the compatibility mode to Windows 95 (or anything else) to see if it'll run better.

-JG

3. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Because of the dos simulation nature of XP ,(NT) ,the "compatibility mode" is not a very good substitute for the config.sys and autoexec.bat facility of Win 9X which would allow much better individual integration of dos programmes.
    Myself I have not found one game for example that works with it ,although some such as "Cyberbox" work without it.

4. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

There's also a way to include the autoexec.bat and config.sys as part of the boot up. I'm not sure how to get it manually, but there's a twek in Xteq's X-Setup program that can turn it on.
    www.xteq.com

-JG

5. karl_axe

karl_axe OSNN Addict

doesn't work

i've learned about XP compatability features way back and seems to do nothing.

i guess i have to downgrade.

what do you think guys?