Doom III Review

i liked duke nukem back back in the day way back

TittleBitties said:
i liked duke nukem back back in the day way back

Anyone remember Blake Stone? I think it came out about the same time as Catacomb 3D?

CGA graphics baby, yeah!

;-)

-Wrath

i never got into computer games really cept nascar and sim other than that i didnt like playin without my controler from ps1 and all that

Finished it

I just finished it. I give it a 3 out of 5 overall. 4 out of 5 for graphics, 4 out of 5 for playability, 2 out of 5 for "plot" (SSDD) and a 4 out of 5 for sound.

Overall a good game but hardly worth the hype.

-Wrath

Well after the game screwing up my computer so when I booted all I got was a blackscreen fixed I've played the game and after about 4 or 5 hours the game crashed and currupted half my saves so I got moved back a good hour and a half to two hours back to level 2. This game doesn'thold my attention like Far Cry did I beat Far Cry in 2 days I dont see myself beating Doom 3 for about a week or so maybe longer. Just gets boring after about 2 hours of play if I wanted to hunt around for keys and passcodes I could have saved myself 60bucks and just downloaded a shareware of doom95 or final doom hell my brother has doom on GameBoy Advance I wouldn't even have to download it.

~to the fanboys~

Notice I didn't say the game was ugly I didn't say the game wasn't spooky I didn't diss ID or carmack so dont fame or I'll hunt you down and gut you like a fish!!! :)

Finished it a while ago as well, the final boss was pretty pathetic, the soul cube makes it way too easy.

I didn't find the search for pass codes and keys to be too difficult and I only got lost a few times, if you notice there are only monsters in places you’re supposed to go, so if you walk around and don't get attacked you know you have to backtrack a bit.

There is not much replay value in this game, and I must say after seeing the latest Halflife 2 screenshots I think its going to blow Doom out of the water. Assuming it ever comes out...

This game is purely eye candy, and although it has a few good moments they don't last long unless you like getting the sh!t scared out of you.

I've not tried multiplayer yet but I can't see it being too exciting.

wow...excepted more people likin the game after all the hype about it.

Something I really missed from the original was the way you could get the monsters to start fighting eachother. That was fun fun stuff.

I just finished the hell level and am now back in the Delta Labs. For those that have finished the game, is that the only hell level in the game? It was incredible, I wish more of the game was that way. I was disappointed to end up back in the lab, I was just wondering if I get to make my way back to hell at some point?

its a decent game in its own right...

but the basic transposition of Half Life onto mars is rather frustrating for anyone seeking originality..

the graphics are pretty decent and the lighting effects are great... I reckon the graphics are better in far cry (and more spread out/larger maps... better story and stuff) but doom3 in its own right is not too bad...

the game could have done with far less bogus repetitive levels that add nothing to the story...

look @ halo... everything progressed to a point and beyond because of the storyline... doom3 doesn't have that unfortunately :(

the AI is also unfortunately inferior to some other games BUT the sheer quantity and speed of the NPC's is challenging at times :)

the chainsaw is a lovely addition :D

the pda == a deus ex ripoff basically but not quite as useful... its a cumbersome tool specially when trying to get numbers for lockers... in deus ex at least all pertinent data when you picked something up or explored was saved separately and you could look up all the numbers w/o having to check the whole thing... coulda saved some time...

in general I guess I would give the game between a 3/5 and a 3.5/5 OSNN star rating..

its a decent product but just doesn't live up to the hype and the lack of originality is a glaring flaw...

I just got it today, and I have two words. HOLY. ****.

Runs pretty good at 800x600 medium quality on my machine (all advanced options on), and looks amazing.

I'm only 30 mins or so in and it's already given me a couple of good frights. So it's good. HL2 will have to be pretty special to top it.

in my eyes, and probably a few others... HL2 won't have to be "pretty special" to top it. Doom 3 wasn't near entertaining for me. i mean, it was SOMEWHAT fun, but some of it didn't make sense. like you shoot one of the zombie-ish things in the head... most people would expect their head to be blown off and they fall to the ground. what happens? head gone, flesh seems to evaporate, and then all u see is a BRIGHT red skeleton. kinda senseless to me. Plus, there's WAY too much backtracking. even right in the beginning. you do all that walking and talking to people, then you walk all the way to this other place to talk to ONE GUY, and you wind up going back to where you started for the next checkpoint. HOPE that kinda stuff don't happen in HL2, but i still think it will be more worth it than D3. and about the new screenshots.... doesn't that new 357 Magnum look sexeh?

i completely agree. i've played doom 3 for about 6-7 hours and there's WAY too much backtracking. story/gameplay is pretty mediocre. i think a lot of the good score goes to the hype. good game, but the only outstanding part is the engine (which is AMAZING by the way). half life 2 will be much better.

Thats the thing that makes me laugh people saying it looks that good at 800 x 600 it just DONT LOOK THAT GOOD !!!

Go play Far Cry at 1152 x 864 and then see what LOOKS GOOD really is all about

I like doom 3 its a good game , better then the average but it just is not THAT good

I think people are still caught up in the hype ... did anyone try the Multiplayer ?

I did and after shooting a guy for 30 seconds with a chain gun ( he did not die ) LOLOLOL and me taking 3 shots from a pistol and was DEAD ... goes to show mw that the multiplayer is going to be crap , full of cheaters and hackers and will make take away a HUGE part of what this game was spose to be about...

sorry dont mean to get on but I am not that impressed with this game at all ... Painkiller is as good as this .. Far Cry is better looking has better AI and better Multiplayer , UT2004 is a much better Multiplayer hands down

sorry but HL2 I think will put this to shame

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Thats the thing that makes me laugh people saying it looks that good at 800 x 600 it just DONT LOOK THAT GOOD !!!

Go play Far Cry at 1152 x 864 and then see what LOOKS GOOD really is all about

It looks way better than Far Cry does at 800x600 and medium...

ps: turn the settings way up and stand there look around sure it looks nice

BUT you cant play at ULTRA HIGH settings 1600 x 1200 then it would look GREAT

:0)

And the game is no way good enough to say I need to change any hardware to be able to turn up the settings ITS not worth any extra $$

wachtourak said:
It looks way better than Far Cry does at 800x600 and medium...
HAHAHA smoke some more

Go get the screen shots and show us I own Farcry, Painkiller, UT2004 and DOOM3, I am not talking copys here buddy I will show you all the cd's and boxes with the bills

Far Cry by FAR <<<<<< like the pun a way better game sorry but the AI in FAR CRY is 10 x that of DOOM 3 its bigger , brighter , more realistic , take the dingy across the water and look behind you as you skip across the water or dive of a cliff and go under the water and let yourself float to the surface and then watch the water as it just floats over your eyes and you bop up and down in the water .......

hahahaha no sorry Far Cry is way ahead of DOOM 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back