Doom III Review

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Petros, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

The first review is up for Doom III from PC Gamer, and it looks like the game is going to suck. Bad. Basically a graphics showcase for the new engine. Read the sad news here.

Just kidding about the sucking. Get it? Ha ha

2. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

lol yo ubetter be joking. doom 3i s gonna be amazing. i kinda skimmed the review. it looks interesting

3. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Crikey, 94%? That's on par with what HL1 recieved a few years back- 96% was it? Then again, the rating system changes quite a lot every year or so.

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

OMG OMG, THIS IS GOIGN TO B THE BESTEST THING 3V3R !!!111!!!

*spurt spurt*

:rolleyes:

:p :D

5. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, no doubt. As expectations rise, a game that gets this score is going to be something special.

6. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

That can be said again :D I plan on picking it up, though game play might be...I really need to upgrade my comp. Just need to get the money ready.

When I was down at EB, they had the boxes on the shelf already (empty though) as they were taking pre-orders. I hadn't really picked it up, so can't confirm, though the guy said for specs, it would require:

- 1.6 GHz CPU
    - 384 MB RAM
    - GeForce 3 gfx card

No doubt, the recommendations will be higher, if those are listed minimum requirements. I do expect my AXP 1900+ (1.6 GHz AXP) will hold things back, though I'll try it out...

7. Wrathchild

Wrathchild OSNN Senior Addict

I have:

P4 3.2 GHz Canterwood
    2 Gigs of Corsair PC3200 DDR
    GeforceFX 5950 Ultra 256

I can play FarCry on High settings but Very High brings the game down to chopsville. I imagine that Doom III will run reasonably well at 1024x768 in High mode. That is to say it F*&^%ing well better!

;-)

-Wrath

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

they said in another thread here that to play with the best graphics, you need a card with 512MB of memory.

I'm not looking forward to Doom 3. i actually do think it will suck and i AM serious. looks like way too much flashlight usage.

9. onimkron

10. ElementalDragon

heh. funneh

11. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Minimum Required System
    DX 9.0 compatible 3D card w/ 64MB RAM*
    MS Windows 2000/XP
    Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
    384 MB RAM
    8x CD-ROM
    2.2 GB of HD space
    Broadband (for multiplayer)

*Supported 3D Graphics chipsets:
    ATI: Radeon 8500, 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
    NVIDIA: GeForce 3, GeForce 4MX, GeForce 4 Titanium, GeForce FX, GeForce 6
    http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDU=

12. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Got Doom III...can't talk now. Will post more later. Must play...

13. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

hehe, git :)

14. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

been playin this afternoon, very dark & atmospheric indeed, almost crapped myself when first zombie things appeared, quite hard some bits when u have too switch between torch and gun cos it is just pitch black:p

why didnt they have shotguns with torches attached:p much easier...

it is beuatiful gfx, and nice with sound in 5.1... but boring as hell after an hour...

might play some more tomorrow

15. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Nice 5.1 sound, indeed. It's not the gamegasm I wanted, but it's not too shabby. The monster placement is perfect for making your jump, and the game feels very polished. Oh, and I laughed when I heard the main character referred to as the ranking "F.N.G." Does anyone know if they use that term outside the military?

Oh yeah, and even if you don't have 512 MB of ram on your video card, you can still run the game in Ultra quality if you set your AGP aperture large enough. Looks sharp that way!

16. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

preordered it today and will be picking it up tomorrow...going to be awesome!...now I just have to finish Far Cry before I get this

17. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Am I really the only person that honestly doesnt give a flying fcuk about Doom 3??

fcuk is french connection uk if you didnt know, I am not swearing, but if you know what Countdown is, then rearrange the letters to make something more interesting

18. onimkron

You might well be, but I guess there are others who don't play action-fest fps on their computer. To be truthful, one of the main factors is to benchmark your PC, since along with HL2 it'll at least try to push it to its limits.

19. ElementalDragon

killa_bunny.... you must have missed my post then. lol only thing i care about now is Half-Life 2.

20. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

i was another that didnt give a crap about the game (prefer HL2) until i saw a 3000x4000 screenshot of it...
    friggin amazing. im gonna get it tomorrow and i cant wait...i wanna finish the suffering tonight so i dont have 2 unfinished games in my pc.