Doom III alpha leak

I'm still wondering why in the world anybody would want to run in this case a game that is still in the alpha stage of development
I honestly don't know, I know that I want to ;) (My Comp = GeForce2mx/1GHz/512mb) but there's no chance my box would be able to.
It's the same with all leaks, alphas, betas, Everyone wants it, then we complain when it doesn't work as good as a product you'd buy from the store. no-one knows why :)

If you gotta remap everything to play the damn thing.. is it worth it. Stupid leak if you ask me. I want a TRULY playable demo or game. seriously game looks sweet though. Should run on my system pretty good.. Hopefully

Stupid leak if you ask me. I want a TRULY playable demo or game
How can it be stupid?! its not official, its a slip up. its not intended to be played.
if you want to play it, your going to have to wait for an official demo from iD

lol I know :0(.... i cant wait... I need it.... i breath doom....

i breathe air ... find it easier on the lungs.
Spose we'll have to put up with UT2003 for now, or go retro and play Doom II :D

Hey; some help needed please; when I try to extract Doom archive with winrar; it gives me an expexpected end of archive. so something is wrong? any help please?

Posted by Chastity
True but as far as ATi the leak could back fire on them....and I see post where people with Nvidia cards were saying that they were getting the same as ATi cards.....I'm still wondering why in the world anybody would want to run in this case a game that is still in the alpha stage of development....As far as Nismo83 statement bout it not running well a lot of that is due to the fact the code is still not totally finished so I would wait for at least an official and/or the final product

please people... too much speculation and not enough fact... ourvery own rave bunny EP said that the alpha is dated from the E3 a while ago...

no cards are optimized for it and no ATi did not leak it on purpose... nor knowingly... more than likely it was someone who had access and dled the files or something from E3... we all know how files can move around...

carmack has gone on record as to say this will change the way the deal with stuff but relationships with companies will not change.. he has NOT named a source... and Xian (christian whatsit from ID) has also gone on record as to say that the chat transcript attributed to him is a fake...

does this mean ATi did not leak the alpha? nope... the alpha is the exact same as what was shown at the E3...

now here's the little thing that all you people with problems playing have to understand...

the nature of coding is such that the same program wil have different charecteristics on different hardware... no doubt... thats a given... so the lockups and what not can be attributed to that...

the DOOM 3 game going around is an ALPHA... it is NOT meant to work on all systems... it is not optimized... the code is at least SIX months old... there is less driver support than there is now...

just think about all the little things before saying the game sucks or something else... just because the ALPHA does not work well does not mean the game will not either...

*note* I have not dled or played the game.. I will... for one... wait till at least an official beta rolls out...

This alpha was developed to run as expected on one particular machine in one particular set of circumstances, part of the stage between beta testing and going final is ensuring that a product will run on as many different systems with the best performance as possible. DirectX goes alot of the way, but there are still issues.

The movie leaked in may, this is that version!

Ok somebody who might work for ATi leaked the game fine, I was just posting what I had seen at the time somewhere else. I still don't understand the big deal bout an 6+ month old Alpha build for a game that is still being coded and why anybody would want to install it on a computer when like EP said it was only coded to run on a system to be teaser at E3.

Posted by Electronic Punk
I merged these 2 threads, technically this alpha is warez... so would rather kee teh num,ber of threads about it down.

funny how an mp3 thread gets closed down for someone bragging about how many mp3s he's got (big whoop; http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20954) yet this one remains open as you all discuss a "technically...warez[ed]" product. the hypocrisy amazes me :rolleyes:

granted, EP didn't make any stupid comments about reporting the guy's IP to the big bad RIAA so please don't think this is directed at him :cool:

disclaimer: not that i'm saying that i do or do not partake in either mp3s and/or warez, i'm just pointing out a nuance in moderation ;)

But you can't buy doom3, even if you wanted to right now, so downloading this alpha isn't going to affect iD's profit's.
If we where talking about downloading a full, complete version of something THEN it would be closed, iD are annoyed that this has been leaked, but I don't think it qualifies as being illegal to download it. I may be wrong.

d/led it 2 nights ago...played it last night.

one word? creepy! this game scared the bejesus outta me!

someone told me to type 'exec runact.cfg' into the console. don't do it! this loads the game into ram and it runs like crap.

instead, start the game, bring the console down and start a map or the intro movie.

i.e., i typed 'map e3/e3_1' into the console and played it in full screen mode.

i was pulling 20fps just walking around, but only managed 3fps when shooting zombies (amd 1.2ghz tb, 1gb sdram, gf2 gts 64mb video card).

this leak has utterly convinced me that i will go to the store and purchase this title! i can't wait for the real thing.

the real-time shading effects on the surfaces and creatures is breath taking. the sounds are extremely unnerving and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

kudos to id for an incredible job!

runact.cfg launches the demo that iD showed. it isn't playable.

Say a man simply wanted to watch the demo that ran at e3.. I have typed exec runact.cfg into the console and after many painstaking minutes of waiting.. the only thing i see happening is the little logo spinning and the eerie sound. Am I doing something wrong or what.

Nick M,

here's your answer!

you probably have winrar 2.9 or an earlier version. in order to extract the file, you have to use the same verison that was used to 'tar' it in the first place; i.e., winrar 3.0.

after that, just follow the instructions posted in my above post and enjoy!

:D

Granted it probably does mine as well, but I would still love to see it. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back