don't buy from Circuit City!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i disagree ..thats a double edged sword. No one will hire "old" people ..because the money invested to teach them is better spent on younger people. Go figure huh?

anyone that is 45-50 years old and recently out of a job is pretty much stuck ... they are over-experienced for any openings in most cases ..and have to compete with college educated younger people ... and like i said above ... an employer in most cases would rather hire a younger person with little experience and pay them half and then teach them to do the job.

I should have worded my point more succintly, but it is what it is.

I have seen plenty of people here in Austin being hired, regardless of age. If anything, the slightly older crowd are preferred because people know they will work harder AND they are typically more professional (with experience). But this is not a stereotypical setting I presume.

What Circuit City is doing is WRONG! Hold the people responsible that got CC into the position they are in - management. Cut management's pay and/or send them hiking.

To those that think like this - - I have a question. How many of you have even been out of high school for 20 years?

Not many people here have been in the job market for 20 years or have been through recession, experienced runaway inflation, have had to look for a job when there weren't any jobs.... You don't (can't) understand unless you've been there.
Why Such offense?
Doesn't anyone realize that this is just business?

Off topic, but I wish I worked for Saz. He takes a coffee break every 12 minutes. This has been confirmed by one of his co-workers.

It's bad business.
Why?
Businesses are to make money, and really thats all, if they create a job, thats a by product, if they have happy customers, that is also a by product.
In the end, businesses are only to make money.

Why?
Businesses are to make money, and really thats all, if they create a job, thats a by product, if they have happy customers, that is also a by product.
In the end, businesses are only to make money.

Not much for ethical business practices, huh? A company should find ways to cut costs besides firing its best employees.

Not much for ethical business practices, huh? A company should find ways to cut costs besides firing its best employees.
Not in my book.
You know my stance, don't care about ethics, don't care about people.
As long as you provide a good product and keep your customers, preferably happy, then it is a good business.

We will see how many happy customers they have, when this new and improved sales force hits the market. It's not like CC has sterling reputation amongst other big box merchandisers.

Now that CC has a high turnover sales force, what kind of customers do you think they willl get?

I think because there is no Commission the service is horrible.

I think because there is no Commission the service is horrible.

I shopped at CC when there was commission and the service still sucked. It's not how much incentive you have to sell that makes you a good salesperson, it's how much knowledge of the product you have. CC doesn't spend enough time training its employees on the products.

I shopped at CC when there was commission and the service still sucked. It's not how much incentive you have to sell that makes you a good salesperson, it's how much knowledge of the product you have. CC doesn't spend enough time training its employees on the products.
What "Big Box Store" does?
Best Buy, sure doesn't...

If you look well-heeled they will.

I've walked in a few times after work, looking relatively spiffy and been surrounded.

I've gone in a few times with a hoodie and no one cares. Regardless of if they get commission, you are just more likely to be helped if you dress nice (and apparently I smell good, or so all the female assistants keep saying :smoker: yay for Armani).

I've walked in a few times after work, looking relatively spiffy and been surrounded.

I've gone in a few times with a hoodie and no one cares. Regardless of if they get commission, you are just more likely to be helped if you dress nice (and apparently I smell good, or so all the female assistants keep saying :smoker: yay for Armani).
Lol, thats not true, Usually its the other way around.
They all flock to "Hoodie" because they think they steal stuff.
I never get helped, not that I need it, but my attire is always a polo shirt Khakis, and decent shoes (not sneakers).
Oh well :p
Maybe they feel they only help those they can take advantage of?

Mac Daddy in da house....:smoker:

For those who haven't seen this before it's a standard cost cutting deal on commisioned jobs. I've had friends in various industries hit by it. My wife got hit by it 20 years ago when Jewel became Magna overnight.

1) You stop commissions because they really eat into profits. To do this you convert the commissions into a salary increase (less than the commissions but still an increase) and weed out your really good sales people in the process becasue they want commissions.

2) If sales are substantially unaffected next you layoff the people who are still there and getting salaries that are unusually high for your market. Salaries in retail sales run $6-10, not $18.

3) You restaff using part timers, :) with no insurance costs, aged 16-24, unmarried, and in good health. Costs drop again.

Main down side is if you have too obvious an age discrimination thing. That's low risk though since age discrimination suits under age 50 don't really have much chance of success.

So which is worse, CC laying off 1500 with possible rehire once they find out they really were overpaid for what they did, or Compusa closing 400 stores and dumping 12000 employees permanently? The Compusa one really screwed me they closed all 3 stores in Tarrant county which means the closest is now about 4 hours away round trip through brutal traffic. If the stores were more profitable there might still be one within a reasonable distance of my home.

Ramblings of an old fart
I had my salary drop in half when I was 32 due to a recession and it was a bitch getting another job. "Nobody hires you because you are used to making a lot more and won't stay on the job." I finally found a long term stable job where I could build my salary back up after making peanuts for 5 years doing 6-12 month short term jobs. Amusingly, the new "career" was at a place that said i was over qualified and over paid 5 years earlier when I interviewed with them right after getting laid off. The guy who hired me was even the one who blew me off the first time 5 years earlier (he did not remember me :p ).

PS In spite of what the guberment claims the USA is in a recession again. Look at the layoffs, store closings and price drops. That is a recession no matter how the economists choose to cook the books. $50-100k a year construction jobs are being replaced with $10 service industry jobs (again). Get used to it, it happens every 7 years. It used to be called the business cycle.

All you guys who said they would never be caught making $18 and hour after 20 years... I have bad news for you. Expect to have your income cut in half at least once during your career. (Recessions, market shifts, energy price surges, excessive kids entering your field, out sourcing, overseas partnerships, foreign competition, the list is endless.) So start saving now while you can. Being under employed for 5 years gets real ugly, especially now that personal bankruptcy has been killed off.

BTW I rarely shop at CC anymore.
-Their return policy is one of the worst in the industry.
-When they were comissioned the sales people drove me up the wall pushing stuff. When they went off comission I could not find sales people.
-Their selection is pretty lame.

OR, the executives can cut their salaries from 5mil/year to 4mil/year and save everyone their jobs.

OR, the executives can cut their salaries from 5mil/year to 4mil/year and save everyone their jobs.
5 Million a year... Sounds a bit high, try 2 million with bonuses.
Plus, it's not their job, to reduce there own salary...
The felt they needed to cut a bunch of employees for the well-being of the company, and I'm pretty sure, they don't care about the low-level employee...
As I said, I'll shop there... If they have good deals.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-04-07-ceo-total.htm

This thread cracks me up. Even though I agree with some of the points of view, it is blatantly obvious that some of you need more real life experience. =]

5 Million a year... Sounds a bit high, try 2 million with bonuses.
Plus, it's not their job, to reduce there own salary...
The felt they needed to cut a bunch of employees for the well-being of the company, and I'm pretty sure, they don't care about the low-level employee...
As I said, I'll shop there... If they have good deals.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-04-07-ceo-total.htm

It is their job to cut costs however they see fit. Very, very, very rarely will you see an executive cut their own pay in favor of keeping skilled workers. It is so rare in fact, that if it was announced that the executives were cutting their pay instead of firing workers, we would all be in here saying what a great company Circuit City must be to work for to have executives that actually care for their employees.

Instead, it is the usual BS about million dollar bonuses for cutting costs and firings of employees.

That being said: I will not shop there any more. I shopped there rarely, but I have stopped now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back