Domain and Workgroups

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omg its nlm, Nov 29, 2004.

1. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I have a laptop at work that is part of a domain, and I occasionally want to bring it home to connect to the workgroup on my wireless home network so that you can share files, folders, and printers.

Is there any way that I dont have to take it off the domain and add it to the workgroup and go back and forth?

Thanks

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I think not - personally....

One of our network experts maybe know a workaround, but as I understand it the two ways of working are mutually exclusive.....

3. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Technically, no you can't. Windows operates in either workgroup mode or domain mode and there technically is no in between. However, my question to you would be exactly why do you need to do this? If you are trying to see the machines on your local workgroup, this can be accomplished without having to switch the machine from Domain to workgroup.

4. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

5. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

That resource is what he is trying to avoid, switching back and forth.

omg its nlm likes this.
  6. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

As long as your home network and laptop are set for DHCP, when you connect your laptop to your home network, logon locally to the laptop ie 'comutername (This Computer)'. You should then be able to map drives from and to your laptop. It may take a little longer than usual for it to find the mapped drives though.

If you have a fixed IP then you'll have to change your laptop's IP to match your home network.

Hope this helps

omg its nlm likes this.
  7. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Thanks for the help I will give it a try RickyC