Doing the right thing for lite OC?

digerati

OSNN Addict
Pretty new to overclocking, only previous experience was bumping the multiplier on my xp 2500+ to get 3200+ speed which was pretty autopilot for me.

Anyhow, I have an Athlon64 3700+ BN chip with an Asus A8N-E and 2x1gb Corsair XMS pc3200 cas 2 ram.

Fiddling with the bios, I bumped the FSB freq to 218mhz and left the multiplier at 11, boosted the ram to 2.75v and the timing to 2-3-3-6.

My goal at this point is to simply get 4000+ performance out of it and I'm wondering if I went about it the right way?

Should I bump my cpu voltage up too? It's currently just set to auto.

Thanks!

What RAM?
Yes, to get north of 2.5Ghz or better, and most will with decent cooling you will need about 1.51-1.57vcore.

CPU-z says my ram is CMX1024-c3200c2.

With my multiplier currently set to 11 with HTT at 218.2mhz my auto cpu voltage seems to be around 1.5v, should I manually bring it down, and if so to what level? I'm not planning on going over 2.4ghz anytime soon.

My cpu temp also seems to be about 43C idle using my old Zalman CNSP7000AlCU and some AS5 in an Antec Sonata case.

43 idle is quite warm.

1.5 is a bit high for what you are doing. 1.45-1.48 should be fine, and it should also bring your temps down a few degrees.

What core is this, a venice?

You have Corsair XMS RAM. Rated at 2.75v 2.3.3.6

You never staed dual channel or single, but it appears to be a 1Gb stick.

Sorry for the lack of info.

Yea, I have the memory in dual channel, 1gb per channel.

I adjusted the location of my case a bit to improve airflow and the idle temp is about 38C now, still higher than I prefer, I'm thinking I might have put a bit too much AS5 on and plan on cleaning and reseating the hsf.

I don't know what the CPU is using 1.5v or so when I set it to auto.

I tried manually bumping it down to about 1.375v and things seem fine though perhaps more juice is needed?

It's a San Diego core with I believe E4 stepping, it's the BN version of the chip.

Wow, you lost me. Hope you figure it out :)

What's your overclock now? An update would be good to see what is going on...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back