Does Not See New Ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Heeter, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I have a friend's Packard Bell computer here beside me. It is a Pentium III 800mhz with 1 stick of 64 megsPC133 in it. Is it a Gigabyte mobo. I am trying to put another 512 PC133 meg stick into it, but this thing will not recongize it on boot up. It has two slots on it and I tried both sides, with and without the 64meg stick along side, but no can do. Maybe there is a Bios setting for this or am I missing something here? BTW, this 512 stick comes from my 'puter and when I put it back into mine, my 'puter picked it up right away, so it is not a damaged piece of Ram. Thanks.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Can that mobo support 512MB sticks? Maybe it only supports 256MB sticks.
  3. Davey

Davey Guest

Genrally older system can be limited in regards to the amount of actual ram per stick you can have on the motherboard.

For instance, you may be limuted to using only 256mb sticks only, so u may have to have 2 256mb sticks.

Smartest way to do it is to find the board specs on either net or manual and find out.

Also, wouldve been smarter to do that in the first place before attempting to insert new stick as wouldve saved so much time and frustration.

4. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

try updating the MOBO bios