Does 8rda+ report temps higher or lower?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Digerati, May 13, 2003.

1. Digerati

Digerati Guest

I have an Epox 8rda+ with the latest bios and was just wondering if this board tends to report cpu temps higher or lower than actual temperatures?

2. jumpy

jumpy Guest

The 8RDA tends to report the temps between 5-10 degrees lower than they actually are, even up to 15 degrees lower in some circumstances :eek:

3. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Really? :eek:
    Are you sure?

4. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Yes :)

Info is from overclockers australia forums, but no linky because you have to be a member to view their forums.

5. PeterGee1

PeterGee1 Guest

so where else would I find that info if not on those forums? I'd like to know the same thing about my board too

6. jumpy

jumpy Guest

You could try the OC forums @ http://forums.oc-forums.com/
    Just do a search of their forum. Just ask if you can't find anything, very informative bunch over there.

7. jumpy

jumpy Guest

The reason boards like the 8RDA read temperatures wrongly is because they don't use the athlon's on-die thermistor to measure temps. Instead they use a socket thermistor which can often be out by a few degrees. 15 degrees is a bit extreme and perhaps exaggerated but definitely the error is in the vicinity of 5 degrees+. The only way to get a real temperature reading is to buy your own thermal probe.

8. Digerati

Digerati Guest

Anyone know any nforce2 mobos thatdo you the athlonxp's on die thermistor?

9. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Ah I see... no wonder when I overclock my XP2100+ to 2GHz, the temps show as 36°C load. Must be at least mid-40s. Thanks for the info! :D
    You might have just saved my CPU!