Documents and Settings - SHARING

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
hi. how do you share the Documents and Settings of a pc? i had already right clicked it and "shared my folder to the network and the option to allow network users to modify my files" but when i tried to open it from my other unit it says that i don't have the priviliges to open/modify it. my notebook and desktop is both xp pro. i had also tried to right click and change attributes (unclicked box of read ONLY) but after OK, it is still 'read only'. pls. advise. :(

I do believe XP may stop you doing this ... can almost see why really. Pretty certain that is true for Home - not sure about Pro though.

You can share it in Pro with simple filesharing disabled.

i'll check the link.
maggie, for simple file sharing disabled, if i disable the file sharing then i can see the files anymore from the unit right?

you can't disable simple file sharing in XP Home. What you need to do is change the access permissions. In Pro, when you disable SFS, you can access the security tab and set permissions there, in Home, you have to boot into safemode.

Since they are both Pro change it to disabled in both computers and reboot. You might have to play with unsharing and sharing. If there is a $ in the share name(when you rightclick the drive ) then make a new share and just leave the $ off the name. Hopefully you are using NTFS also. It helps if the accounts and passwords are the same makes it simpler. You can disable the Guest Account in Computer Management also.

ok. i have them both in xp pro and ntfs, same usernames and psws. i will follow the steps then. i appreciate your suggestions... :)

Good luck as long as workgroup, network protocols and file systems are the same you should be able to get it working. I have always had the same profiles and passwords. Makes me less confused when I'm switching to the different machines.

I also Remote Desktop them. You can reduce the window on the remote computer and compare settings without having to jump up and down.

file systems do not matter when accessing across a network ;)

I was talking about disabling simple filesharing. Not NTFS vs Fat32. I tend to type in shorthand. Not a good thing sometimes.

i had tried to unclick the simple file sharing and did the "full permission" for everyone. i still have to open the other pc if it can see "my documents" from there. :)

I have My Documents folder shared. "C" drive and my "G" drive also. C drive isn't that important to me but the external G drive is where I backup all the computers and keep my downloads. It is really the only reason I network them.

both pc now can access all folder that i had shared and it works fine now. thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back