DO i have to format??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kingsam, Sep 23, 2003.

1. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

I am about to change from a asus a7v333 to a a7n8delux,i normally format when i change mbo's,but ive been told there is two files in winxp pro that if you delete them to dont have to format.Is this true?Or not.If i have to format then so be it,but i was just wondering if there was any truth in this.Many thanks

2. You shouldnt have to even do that, XP will update itself when you put the motherboard in, so you shouldnt HAVE to format.

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

The problem with NOT formatting the HD is that you'll be left with all the junk in the registry and the old device drivers that aren't needed. I agree that Windows CP will do the necessary updates for the new hardware found.

4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

You probably have to reinstall the OS, however you only need to perform a recovery install of system files, not a complete reinstall. All your personal settings, programs, and documents will be let intact.

JJB

5. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

format

Thanks jjb how do i perform a recovery reinstall then.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Back up your data first though. Changing chipset brands gets a little risky. Changing MB within the via family is a peice of cake.

I had a lot of hassle moving an old HD from VIA to SIS.

7. kitct

kitct Guest

Re: format

Its a 2nd option repair install.

When you 1st start the install it will ask if you want to do a repair or an install. Choose install.

The 2nd time it asks if you want to do a repair or install, choose repair. And choose to "keep current file system".

Watch closely and you should be ok. :)

8. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

do i need to format

Thanks for all the advice,tryed last night but xp,was having none of it...all sorts of errors.....so formatted anyway,but thanks again for all the advice.:)