DNS Problem?

dillinja

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi everyone and thanks for reading this. I have an annoying intermittent broadband problem!
Every couple of days or so I find I cannot connect to the Internet. I get a "DNS res" error page come up on my browser. This happens for anything up to 2 hours during which time I have to reboot until I can eventually connect. My 360 can't connect either and it also reports a DNS problem when it goes into it's diagnostic mode that it does when it can't connect. Once I am logged in successfully my connection is 100% bulletproof.
I have reported this to my ISP (BT) and they are totally useless. I have been trawling the forums looking for help and found something about changing your DNS settings to Dynamic. If I log into my router (Netgear DG834GT) through a browser there is an option for me to do this but I need add a hostname, username and password.
Does anyone know if this might fix the problem I am having and what details I need to enter?

The hostname, username and password are probably for an PPPoE connection (aka DSL). On my Linksys I can specify a DNS setting under DHCP.

Here's how the typical router handles DNS. When your computer requests an IP from DHCP (router) the router gives it an address but also sets the DNS to the router's UP addy. When your computer requires DNS it asks the router which in turn asks the DNS servers assigned by your ISP, I know that Bell Sympatico (my ISP) has crappy DNS servers.

You could try using 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as a DNS server. The DNS setting under DHCP tells the computer to use those addresses instead of the router's IP taking the router out of the loop and possibly eliminating the issue.

My router is not one that replaces it with it's own. Mine is a linksys and just passes off the standard ISP ones. I have set up my own DNS server on my network, and have addded those to the router to be handed out to anyone that connects. Completely bypassing my ISP and doing my own DNS caching, results in happy family members, faster internet speeds, and in general increased surfing pleasure.

Hi everyone,

This is my second post, this thread is very interesting. I have a linksys router, and my isp dns servers have never given me any problems, but hey, knowledge is power.

What are the dns addys, 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 ?

X-Istence, I take it your set up your dns server without any zones? Does it just use its own root hints then, to migrate through the dns hierarchy, and resolve names through recursion? Interesting setup, never would have thought of it.

tia

Hi everyone,

This is my second post, this thread is very interesting. I have a linksys router, and my isp dns servers have never given me any problems, but hey, knowledge is power.

What are the dns addys, 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 ?

X-Istence, I take it your set up your dns server without any zones? Does it just use its own root hints then, to migrate through the dns hierarchy, and resolve names through recursion? Interesting setup, never would have thought of it.

tia

Little program named dnscache from DJB does just that, nameserver resolving and caching. I don't use bind. With dnscache there are no zones to set up as it does only one thing, cache and do recursive queries, to host domains you would use tinydns also from DJB, which is what this site uses to return IP address's for hostnames.

I'm not in the UK, but I believe BT is Cable Internet which doesn't require any authentication, at least not in most cases.

I'm not entirely convinced your ISP is at fault. I would think if "their DNS" was giving you problems for 2+ hours, it would be a known issue and others would be complaining rather than just you.

I would suggest taking your router out temporarily, but the "Every couple of days or so" might be a tough time interval to test.

You could try verifying you are at the latest firmware, maybe borrowing an extra router from someone else to test with?

Thanks everyone. Next time I get this problem I will call BT at the time and see if they can come up with anything whilst it's actually happening. I'll post up anything I find out.

I'm not in the UK, but I believe BT is Cable Internet
You'd be wrong ;) BT is ADSL based, theres a couple cable internet companies in the UK, but nearly all are PPPoA ADSL based.

If was you I'd try the openDNS servers that were suggested, but I'm not so I will continue using my djb dnscache similar to X-Istence instead.

Eh I guess I should stop guessing about things that happen across the ocean :D

Regardless though - if it was a BT thing wouldn't more users have reported it?

Eh I guess I should stop guessing about things that happen across the ocean :D

Regardless though - if it was a BT thing wouldn't more users have reported it?

You over-estimate the typical level of competence of BT users (and staff), its possibly a bit above AOL ;)

I was just reading this thread and was wondering if i allocated DNS to my router and pc's if the IP address given out would be different from my ISP.
There were a few site that i have visited that i used to get that now come up saying that users with similar IP address(same company) were block from using the site. Would this get around this problem or not. I do not wish to hide my IP just change it.

I was just reading this thread and was wondering if i allocated DNS to my router and pc's if the IP address given out would be different from my ISP.
There were a few site that i have visited that i used to get that now come up saying that users with similar IP address(same company) were block from using the site. Would this get around this problem or not. I do not wish to hide my IP just change it.
If you change DNS entries on your Router, this will NOT change the IP you get from your ISP or the IP addresses (internal) that your machines inherit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back