DNS Help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bobbyp, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bobbyp

bobbyp Guest

Not sure if this is the right forum, so apologies if I've got it wrong.

Here goes, I have a cable modem with a dynamic IP, what I want to do is point my domain at my IP so that I can host my own web, ftp and mail servers.

Is there a complete idiots guide out there to allow me to do this.

I'm currently running XP Pro with IIS 5 installed but don't really know how to use it.

Any help appreciated,

Bob

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

First off, make sure your ISP allows this! Very important.

Then go to, for example, www.dyndns.org and check under "Custom DNS". It costs $30 to set up and is free after that. It works well with dynamic IP also.

Then you just set up the servers at home.

Good luck! :)

3. I would recommend no-ip.com its totally free and in my experience works a lot better than dyndns. When I had dyndns it kept going down...

4. Zedric

It's not free if you have your own domain. "No-IP +" will cost $24.95/year.

5. But they give you your own domain under the free package, thats what I was talking about.

6. Zedric

A domain free? I can't find anyting about it. You get a SUBdomain, yes, but not a domain as far as I can see.

7. waddy

waddy OSNN Senior Addict

I host my own email server + plus webserver and use dyndns.org, its a one off payment, you can have multiple hosts, and of course one MX record.

My IP is semi-static and is renewed once a month so i use an excellent free app to update my IP to dydndns.org when it changes and Im not home.

Its called - dyndns updater -

http://www.istop.com/~phartana/dyndns/